Ask Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert Y...
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert
Michael L Top Notch Computer Expert, One of JA's top 10 Computer Experts
Experience:  One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback
283538

Cant find the Run Box on my xp. It isnt there.

My xp lost it's Run Box in start.
Can I fix this with out reloading to factory?
The steps on the internet doesn't fix it.
Start, Properties,customize, Advanced, etc.
The Advance start menu is missing a Command box to uncheck.
Click Advanced it goes to Start Menu (list of what is in the computer)
I don't know where to look for "Run"

Don't know how to get it back. But you don't really need it. You can run Run by pressing the Windows button (which is located between ctrl and alt) and R at the same time.
Sk1llz, Mastermind
Experience: Mathematics, Statistics and Physics
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to J's Post: did the following answer.
Got this pop up.
This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.
Please contact your system administer
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Some how I lost my Run Box for xp.
I did the Start Properties advance customize
there is no command to uncheck etc.
I did the just anwser comupter that didn't work.
This error came up.
This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer
contact you system administer.
Now how do I fix this problem?

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok we can take a look at this,

If this is your personal computer do this,

without run button, type this in the search. then double click on it.

Start Regedit
Go to HKey_Current_User \ Software\ Microsoft \Windows \ Current Version \ Policies \ Explorer
Right click on the right panel and add a New / DWORD
Name it NoFile or NoRun
Give it a value of 0
Logoff or Reboot the computer

Is this a computer at work?

If this is a school or work computer they have the Run Command shut off. You will have to talk to the admin.

If there is anything else let me know, or click accept. Thanks Michael L
Experience: One of The Highest ranked Computer Expert on Just Answer in Accepts, Visit my Profile & Feedback
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....... JA Computer Expert's Post: Just home computer.
Did the steps that you sent.
That didn't work either.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I can't find the Run Box it is missing from my xp.
Is there a fix for this?
Hi and welcome back,

Another expert has very kindly offered this info, he told me to have you try this, and it may be the ticket we were looking for.

I want to thank this expert for his assist.

First hide the Run Command by the following process:
Right clicked on the Start Menu, selecting properties, going to the 'Start Menu' tab and clicking on the Customize button. There clicked on the 'Advanced' tab, and in the 'Start Menu Items' Scrollbox, scrolled down to Run command, which was between 'Printers and Faxes' and 'Scroll Programs', and unchecked it.
Then go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Start_ShowDWORD
And set it to 1
Then ended explorer with the Task Manager and then ran it from the task manager and the run command was back.

I have also noticed after this advice, that you stated you didn't have a run controller to check.
If after following the instructions and it is still not there you may need to do a repair on your XP OS.

Please do is the following:
Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key
You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the agreement press F8 to proceed.
The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to repair the selected Windows XP installation. To run a Repair Install Press "R" at this time.
***CAUTION*** if you do not see the option to repair the selected Windows XP installation DO NOT choose the option to continue installing a fresh copy without repairing as that will overwrite your data and cause unrecoverable data loss.

Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the installation and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time just wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed. Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.

When Setup has completed you should find all of your previously installed apps and settings are intact.

Hi and welcome back,

One more,

Another expert has very kindly offered this info, he told me to have you try this,

Restart the computer in safe mode, select Administrator for the logon account, have him go into user manager and change his account type. I haven't seen it specifically referred to for the run button, but I have read that it can happen for other shortcuts and My Computer. The other thing you could try to find out, is if they use a VPN (like to connect to work), the machine could have been hit with a user level policy which restricts the run button? (That's kind of a far out there idea).

Or have him create a new user account from safe mode, and have him transfer all his data from his existing to the new one.