OCR_Ambler
OCR_Ambler, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  15 Years as a computer professional
1295047

How do I hook up an Xbox through a VCR If Ive ...

How do I hook up an Xbox through a VCR? If I've connected all of the appropriate wires, and the picture still does not show up, what is the remaining problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  OCR_Ambler replied 10 years ago.

Hiya, and welcome to Just Answer!

Is the VCR correctly connected to the television? (If using the RF cable, is the TV set to channels 3/4), if using RCA cables(Red/White/Yellow) is the TV set to the correct video input?

If you are using S-Video cables, some TV's/VCR's will differentiate between using composite vs s-video connections also.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to OCR_Ambler's Post: I am connected to my TV using an RF Cable - the VCR is working just fine by itself.

Is your VCR set to the video input/aux input channel?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to OCR_Ambler's Post: Yes, indeed

Which cables from the xbox are you using?, also, does your VCR have both front and back aux inputs? I know my vcr does, and it differentiates between the 2, as well as the back one using composite vs. s-video. Also, what kind of picture (if any) are you getting on your TV? One other thing, does your VCR have a TV/VCR button or setting, depending on the VCR, when the tapes are playing it automatically sets it to VCR mode, but when not playing a tape, it just passes through the RF signals unless you specifilly tell it VCR/VIDEO mode vs the TV mode

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to OCR_Ambler's Post: 1. I am using the standard set of video cables that come with the Xbox (Red-White-Yellow, with the other end plugging into the Xbox itself.

2. My VCR only has input plugs in the back. I have tried both sets, even though only one set is labelled "In."

3. My VCR automatically goes into TV-VCR mode when the power button is pushed. I have to hit the TV-VCR button once more to put it back into regular TV mode. The last turning on the Xbox, I could see faint traces of the video game picture in the background - however, this was the best I could do.

What is the make and model of your VCR?

Also, does your TV have video inputs? (The red/white/yellow connections)?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to OCR_Ambler's Post: My TV does not have R/W/Y connectors in the back. I'll research my VCR soon - but its a Zenith from the early 1990s

Okay, there might still be either a switch or other setting on your unit to accept input from the aux connectors that might not be set. Another option you might want to consider is to purchase the RF adapter for the X-Box, which will send the signal through the coax cable instead. Here is a link for one on ebay, but you should be able to get them from any of the local game stores also. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8274983034&category=20385