Chassie, Consultant
Experience:  Computer/IT Consultant

what materials do you need to make magnetic ink for a printer

Customer Question

The ink that is used when printing payroll checks

Optional Information:
OS: Windows XP; Browser: Other

Already Tried:

Category: Computer
Expert:  Chassie replied 10 years ago.
Let me preface my answer with this information: Magnetic "inks" are available commercially for laser printers and some dot matrix printers. Commercial magnetic ink is not made for inkjet printers because the demand is so low in the consumer market.

To answer your specific question, magnetic ink is made with Alnico 5 (aluminum, nickel, cobalt and iron) or a combination of barrium ferrite and stronium ferrite.

Either material combinations is ground into a powder and then heat treated to change the magnetic properties and grain structure resulting in a rock-like material known as ceramic magnets.

Once the ceramic magnet is created it can be ground into a powder and mixed with rubber, plastic and other liquids to make magnetic ink.

Hope this answer is helpful to you in your search for making magnetic ink.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chassie's Post: is it true that you can use the ink from inside the toy etchasketch