John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

I need an audible signal whenever I receive an email from a ...

I need an audible signal whenever I receive an email from a certain address. I have hotmail. Any ideas? Thank you

Optional Information:
OS: Windows XP; Browser: Other

Already Tried:
the question was...I need an audible computer signal whenever I receive an email from a certain address. I have hotmail. How do I achieve this? I am in the process of trying cellphone signal. Otherwise, I haven't tried anything

Category: Computer
Expert:  Paul Klemstine replied 9 years ago.
I use Yahoo mail, and there are filters that you can set up to have Yahoo send your email messages right to your cell phone as a text message. If your cell phone has a web browser you can also use that to log in to Yahoo and check your email. I personally use it to have any emails that have my name in the subject sent to my phone.

I am not aware that hotmail has this feature yet, and you may not want to switch to Yahoo. But if you do decide to switch to Yahoo, I can help walk you through the process of setting it up to send your email messages to your phone.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Paul Klemstine's Post: Thank you Paul. If everything else fails and I can't get a suitable answer from anyone else I will try your idea. But what I'm looking for is an audible sound from the computer whenever I receive an email from a certain address.
Email here isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Paul Klemstine's Post: Thanks Paul, I'll keep in touch
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

You can use Outlook Express to receive your email from all your email accounts. It has an audible signal to notify you whenever an email message arrives.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks John.
I just need the audio signal when I get an email from a certain address, not other emails. This is a trading signal and happens 10-15 times a day. Can outlook express distinguish one address from other emails?
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

In OE you can have your email accounts created under different 'identities'. So you would create a separate identity for your trading email account, and set OE to 'Play sound sound when new message arrives' for that identity. To check you other email accounts you can simply switch between identities while you're in OE.

I'm sure there are other email clients or utilities programs which can do the same thing. If that's what you want let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
John,

Thanks for the last info. At the moment I have nothing on my outlook express. If I just connected outlook express with the one email address that gives the trading signal, would that do it? Please steer me thru this...signals re-start tomorrow afternoon, so we'll soon see if it works or not. If it does, the ten bucks is yours!

If you could relay precise instructions about how I can connect outlook express with the relevant email address, I would be glad!

Thanks

Tobie
Expert:  John D replied 9 years ago.

Hi Tobie,

To add a new account in OE:

Run OE, then from the Tools menu select Accounts.., click on the Mail tab, click the Add.. button, select Mail. This will start the Internet Connection Wizard for each email account you want to create. Follow the instructions which are basically straight forward, except for the server name and type which depends on which email provider you are setting up (e.g. yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc). Here are the instructions for hotmail account: (by the way ms keeps trying to make it difficult for people with free hotmail account to receive their mail in this manner. Gmail is a far better choice in this and many other regards.)

When the wizard opens the Email Server Name dialog box, select HTTP in the 'My incoming mail server is a" field, then select Hotmail in the 'My email service provider' field.

Now that you have the email account set up, you need to tell OE how to receive the mail. From the Tools menu, select Options.., in the General tab, make sure the boxes 'Play sound when new messages arrive' and 'Check for new messages every" are checked, and select the time interval for OE to check your mail.

I hope that will do it for you. Let me know if you need further help.

John.

John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant