Christopher Valk
Christopher Valk, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Formerly Brainbench Certified
194888

computer deskbar frozen in time

Customer Question

my computer's deskbar is frozen and the clock is stuck on the time that I restarted the computer. The start button doesn't work either and I get a waiting signal when I place the cursor down in the deskbar. I'm also unable to connect to the internet.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Alexei Andreev replied 11 years ago.
I assume you tried restarting your computer, so I suggest checking your computer with an anti-virus program.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Alexei Andreev's Post: yes i've tried restarting the computer. I've tried some anti-virus programs and none seem to work. Can you suggest one that will definitely work?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
does anyone know anything about elitebar? At the time when all this started I was running netzero. I had yahoo anti-virus toolbar. It seems as if the anti-virus messed up my computer. I noticed elitebar was holding a lot of info(it sucked out 35 percent of my memory-which I did get back but the computer still won't function properly.
Expert:  Christopher Valk replied 11 years ago.

One of your system programs is busy, more than likely it hung up. If you Control-Alt-Delete and select the msgrv[not responding] and end task you should be able to use your taskbar.

You will need to run a repair setup using your Windows CD. Place the CD in your drive and reboot your computer, wait for the prompt and press "r" to run a repair setup.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: no ,sorry that didn't work
Do you mean you even tried doing a repair setup? Your problem is classic and alot of computer users have encountered it. If you bring your computer in they are going to repair the windows install or reinstall windows, so thats your only choice about now, besides using the add/remove programs feature in your control panel to remove programs to find what effect it has.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: how do you reinstall windows or repair setup?
First of all, I need to know if you have the windows disk which should have come with your computer? If your computer is a compaq/hewlett/dell/gateway you should have recieved a restore disc, this disk has the same effect as a windows disk.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: no i don't have a window's disk. It's a premio computer. The windows system I have running on it is windows xp professional. I do have a windows 98 disk. Can this help me at all? I appreciate your time Chris. I'll give you the acceptance money if I can get this computer back to normal. Thanks again
Unfortunately a Windows98 CD isn't going to cut it. When you were sold the computer Premio was/is required by law to have provided you a copy of the windows disk. Any kind of repair operation we can do will require the Windows XP disk. Would you be able to obtain a windows xp cd from one of your friends? If so, are you able to use your start button, or are you able to access the start menu?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: I can get a copy of windows xp but I can't access the start button. I get a waiting signal. Is there anyway to remove the windows xp so I can install windows 98? I know that's downgrading, but my computer might run better with the lower windows version. My computer only has 233mhz.

I can sure help you downgrade your computer, thats not a problem! You will need a windows 98 boot disk: http://1gighost.net/randyboy/boot98se.exe

Download this program and insert a floppy diskette into your floppy drive and then open the file, it will create a windows98 boot disk. After you have created the boot disk, leave the disk in your drive and reboot your computer.

When your computer boots with this bootdisk you want to select the support for CD-ROM. Then when you recieve the dos prompt you will want to type "format c:" and press enter, type "y" and press enter.

After the formatting has been complete you can insert your windows98 cdrom and type "e:" enter, then type "setup" and press enter. You are now on your way, just follow the prompts and windows will install!

If you need information on backing up files please ask, this answer is written for people who would like a full wipe!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: i can't get to the dos prompt when I restart my computer. It keeps telling me that it can't execute while windows xp is running.
Expert:  Alvie replied 11 years ago.
Have you tryed takeing the battery out for 30 seconds and reinstalling it?

Ok, you created the boot disk and when you insert the disk and restart your computer it tells you that it cannot execute? If this is the case, format the floppy and try to create the boot disk again, it should not give you this problem.

If you wish you could also goto Start>Settings>Control Panel and then "Add or Remove Programs" and select the "Windows XP Uninstall" and click "change/remove" if this option is available.

Let me know if you need further assistance, as I cannot be sure these things will work.

As posted above by "Alvie", I do not recommend you taking this step, as it will cripple your computer even further, it wont help the situation!

Expert:  Alvie replied 11 years ago.
Get the XP disk and insert it.Then shutdown comp. and restart it. it should give you the option to boot from CD.hit any key to boot from CD-----Do a Clean Install
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Alvie's Post: why would the deskbar be frozen???? When I restart the computer, it gives me the message "system functions abnormal" what does this mean?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 years ago.

In most cases, deskbar is frozen because of some process(es) are using too much percentage of you system resources (memory, CPU, etc.). Those processes might be normal windows process or virus, or spyware, Try the following workarounds:

1. Reboot your computer, hold "F8" during reboot process, and select "Safe Mode with Networking" option.

2. Login and see whether the computer performs better.

3. If you can access Internet now, go to the following website(s) to do online virus scan:
http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

If you cannot access Internet, use a different computer to go to Internet and dowload a free anti-virus program:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

You may also need to dowload the software in step 5 too.

4. Clean viruses if you find any.

5. Download free anti-spyware program (Ad-Aware) from:
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Install and scan your computer, delete spywares you find, if you are not sure about delete all the results, post back.

6. You mentioned EliteBar on your computer, refer to the following web site to remove(you might have removed them with ad-Aware, just double-check):

http://labs.paretologic.com/spyware.aspx?remove=EliteBar

http://www.spyware-removal-guideline.com/elite-toolbar-removal

7. From command line, enter "regedit", explore to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

check what programes are in windows startup processes, delete those registry keys that you do not need.

8. Restart your computer in normal mode.

Let's try the above steps first and see how it goes. Note that registry operation is very dangerous, if you are not sure about what you are doing, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: I did the format c-suggestion. It completed format, I pressed e then enter and then I typed setup and I got this message   A:\>CDR101: not ready reading drive e: ABORT,RETRY, FAIL?   what does this mean and what should I do next?

You need to manually switch to your cd drives letter, and depending on how many drives you have it may be "e" or "f". If your CD is in the top drive it would be "e:" and the bottom drive would be "f:", to switch the drive letter you need to type "e:" or your drives letter followed by a colon and press enter, once switched you can type "dir" and press enter to see if you have the right drive, if you do then it should show you the contents of the cd including "setup.exe".

Let me know if there is anymore problems or questions! :)

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: this is the message i get now after the setup screen comes up      MESSAGE SV995035 An invalid command option was specified type setup/? to check command.(0 X 13AB)     When I type setup/? it runs the setup again and gives the same message. what should I do next?
Are you sure you are typing "setup"? The only reason why you would get this error message is because you are typing "setup " or "setup p" for example.
Ohh make sure you are typing "setup" without the ""(quotation marks).