Christopher Valk
Christopher Valk, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Formerly Brainbench Certified
194888

My computer keeps shutting off

Customer Question

My computer has been shutting off after about an hour or so right in the middle of me searching online, checking email, playing games, or just typing a document. It doesnt do the "shutting down stuff," it just goes completely black (off). When I try to start it again with the power button, it takes three tries or so before it will come back on. It doesnt give be error messages or anything-it just shuts off. What do you think is wrong? It is a laptop and it is on a power supply, plugged into the wall-with my phone (that is working). I have had it for a year and SONY wont help me since it has been that long. Helppppppppp
Category: Computer
Expert:  Stephen replied 11 years ago.

Sounds like it could be overheating -- check to see that the vents are
not dusty or covered and if there is a fan make sure that it is
working.

Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

You may wish to check your Monitor Power Settings. Click on "Help" on your computer and type in "Monitor Power Settings" or just "Power Settings".....you may need to reset same.

I hope this helps.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Expert:  Tricia Reamer replied 11 years ago.
What Model is your Sony Laptop? If it is a Vaio there is a known issue. Let me know...thanks! Tricia
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tricia Reamer's Post: yes it is a sony VAIO
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
what are the known issues with Sony laptops VAIO's???
The DIMM slot which holds the RAM modules have a few to several connections that have become loose or disconnected. They need to soldered again by someone who really knows what they are doing. Sony's solution is to get a new motherboard, but new motherboard will be $800 or so and will develop the same problem. There is a reputable Computer Services Co that I can refer you to or you can find someone locally. They charge $149 + return shipping. Let me know if you want their # XXXXX or email. Thanks!
Hope this helps! Tricia
Expert:  Christopher Valk replied 11 years ago.
I would make sure to have it professionally cleaned first. If there is a noticable problem the cleaning tech will notify you. It costs about $50 for a cleaning.