Christopher Valk
Christopher Valk, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Formerly Brainbench Certified
194888

games binding

Customer Question

I have a compaq w/pentium 4 cpu 1500 mhz, 1.60 ghz, I upgraded to 1.00 gb ram, ntfs 33.3 gb
my grandkids use it for games, these are good name brand games eg: kidsedge after school clubhouse, it slowed and dragged and talked funny, someone told me to upgrade the ram so i did, it worked well for awhile, now is dragging again, this does not happen to just one game, it does it to everything except card games...help english please, i am a nurse not a computer expert.   thank you oh yes, i also downloaded direct x 9 it also did not help. yes i register everything
Category: Computer
Expert:  Alexei Andreev replied 11 years ago.
Is it connected to the internet? If yes, do your grandchildren use it (play games, go to websites,...)?
Expert:  Christopher Valk replied 11 years ago.
It sounds more or less Processor and RAM related, but I feel this is not your problem. Most computer related problems are caused by spyware, these nasty little programs can suck all of your resources dry.

I would suggest making sure your anti-virus is up to date and I would suggest you run a scan. You will probably find more adware/spyware than you knew existed.
Expert:  Nick Anderson replied 11 years ago.
Also try to defragment your hard drive, click on start - programs - accessories - system tools- disk defragment.

Defragment your C: drive, it may take awhile, so let it run overnight if need be. Check the status after it is complete and make sure that file fragmentation is below 15%, if it is not, run it again. In severe cases you may have to run the defragment a few times.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: already did that
will try again
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: already done
will try again
thanks
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Alexei Andreev's Post: yes it is
kids go to candystand.com
Expert:  Joseph Barcus replied 11 years ago.
sounds like a heat problem to me, try this please if you have not already. turn unit off let it set for oh lets say a hour that should be long enough, than re start it and have one of your kids play on it watch it to see how well you or the person playing can move around and for how long.if you see that it works good for a while before slowing down. do it one more time just to make sure. than if it does it take the cover off your computer place a small fan around it, also note while its open if all the fans are running as well, if in fact you find one not running theres your trouble.
It is also possible that you are running out of memory. May be you have too many games installed. Check that just in case. (you can go to my computer, select a drive, and on the left you can see the amount of Free Space. It should be...oh, i would say 400MB, to be safe)

Joseph makes a good point, except the fact that if this were so, your processor would heat up quickly and your computer would occassionally reboot without warning. If you believe this is a heat issue you could always take your computer in for a professional cleaning, or you could buy some air cans and do it yourself. If you have no idea how to clean a processor, I would advise you not to bother with it.

If you were running out of free disk space you would recieve a warning constantly from your operating system.

What is the model number of your pc?

I agree with Mr.valk as well. But I lost a fan a a few months back on the power supply I thought too that it would had shut down. but it didnt, than after thinking a while on it It came to me that it would only shut down if the cpu heats up. so yes its a yes/no in either way isnt it. lol I have put more fans on my unit and also keep my cover off. good luck

If it were a power supply fan, then your system "would" more than likely continue to run, though I am not sure how bad it would bog your performance, it depends on how many fans you have in your unit.

I am thinking more on the lines of a wearing hard drive, or an application that is pulling alot of cpu cycles.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Joseph Barcus's Post: have done it
no change
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Alexei Andreev's Post: 20.5 gbs space
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Christopher Valk's Post: It is a compaq intelr pentium
presario
5000
where would I find it, I just went through all my papers to the computer, cannot find the model number
thanks for checking on that, now lets move one to another thing. one of your games is messing with you, you need to remove one at a time until it clears up. you can always re install them later when you get it worked out. go to <start> <control panel> <add remove programs> find the one you want to try and remove one at a time re start and try to play the others. no doubt in my mind you have a software problem just dont know what program it is right at this time. thanks and good luck
I see you are pretty close if you are in Salem Wva Im only 30 miles from you. funny how you run into folks thats so close sometimes

I would suggest downloading new video and audio drivers, it is possible that these may have corrupted.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=92874&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us