Stephen
Stephen, Programmer
Experience:  ***
128250

content advisor microsoft eliminated -can go on web but not

Customer Question

I own an e-machine. I never entered a password XXXXX microsoft windows 98 in my content advisor. I kept getting a red sign telling me I couldn't enter and to check my content advisor. after paying several phone services for computer I finally got told how to get rid of it so I could go on line. Now I can not go to pay pal or put a bid on e-bay because I was told to delete it. I went to redata and pulled up current etc and after going through microsoft and policies etc. deleted the content advisor. so as I said it has eliminated me from small things like going to my airline frequent flyer and getting a boarding pass, e-bay etc. How do I reinstate
the content advisor or give my self a password XXXXX I can go on the web and visit sites and pay or bid. Thankyou
Category: Computer
Expert:  Paul replied 11 years ago.
I take it you use IE?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: Sorry I don't know what relist is. I don't know
what IE is either. I posted the question and
went off line after waiting awhile. and yesterday was Sunday and I rarely go on-line on Sunday.
Do I need to post the question again.

I don't want the firefox please don't send me
advertisements.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I did reply. Do I just wait?
Expert:  Stephen replied 11 years ago.
Wow.

Ok - first of all. IE mean internet explorer. it is a browser used to surf the net.

The firefox icon is a signature, it also free software so Paul is not trying to get you to buy something. Simmer down.

Third -- the statement "Reply to Paul's post" is so that people can see
that you were replying to a post. It is not a statement to you to do
something.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Stephen's Post: Stephen,
Sorry, I misunderstood. I still don't know
where to get the answer you posted. I understand
Internet Explorer. I don't use the code because
around here it gets confusing. I have a daughter
who is a tv producer and my husband audits for
a pharmaceutical company and I get the codes
so mixed up: we say quality assurance instead of
QA because to me QA is question and answerHA

Now I tried to get your answer and pay but it just
keeps coming up with "Please reply so we can Help you better". Am I in the wrong place?
Expert:  Stephen replied 11 years ago.
Your not able to see any answers - since no one gave you one yet.

We have been posting information requests. We do that when when we need more information to give you an answer.

Expert:  Stephen replied 11 years ago.

I think this might help you.

From :http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml

How to Fix Problems with Content Advisor
Missing Information

In most cases, this problem occurs when the
Ratings.pol file is damaged, follow the instructions below to fix this issue.

1) Quit Internet Explorer

2) Open My Computer, click on Tools, Folder
Options

3) Click on the View tab and make sure "Show
hidden files and folders
" is selected, you may also want to uncheck the box
next to "Hide extensions for known file types" and click Ok

4) Double click on Drive C
in My Computer

5) Double click on the Windows
folder and then double click on the System folder

6) Search for the file RATINGS.POL and right
click on it and choose Rename. Rename it to RATINGS.OLD

7) Close out of the open Windows and then
reopen Internet Explorer

8) Click on Tools, Internet Options

9) Click on the Content tab, then click on
Settings

10) Type in the Supervisor password XXXXX
necessary and click Ok

11) Select the Ratings options you would like
and click Ok and close out of Internet Explorer

12) When you reopen Internet Explorer,
everything should work