Christopher Valk
Christopher Valk, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Formerly Brainbench Certified
194888

I deleted my modem!

Customer Question

How do I regain my modem, once it has been deleted from the computer system?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kenny replied 11 years ago.
Start / control panel / add hardware / push next ......or restart your computer
Expert:  Christopher Valk replied 11 years ago.
That might work, restarting your computer will definately not work though. You may have to download drivers for your modem, unless your windows cd has them.

If you need any extra help, please ask! :-)
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I deleted my modem!
Expert:  Joseph Barcus replied 11 years ago.
do you have the software for it? if so you can re install it by placing the disk in. when it gets to the part install modem follow instructions. or two restart the computer if there is a modem it will say " found new hardware" follow instuctions to install driver. if that fails go back un install any modem you see from control panel, if you have any questions let me know maybe I can walk you thur it. its really simple
Expert:  Shabbir Bhimani replied 11 years ago.
If you are using Windows XP just switch on your hardware and Windows
will automatically detect it. Check the bottom right corner System tray
and it will ask for a driver location and you can provide the CD to
install and regain the modem back.

If you are using any other OS below XP then you need to get the CD for
the modem and insert the CD for installation of the modem.

Thanks

Shabbir Bhimani

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I am running Windows 98 and have no recovery disk.
if you have no driver disk for the modem, and you are running win 98, the best advice I have for you at this time would be just go buy a new modem, but make sure it says for win 98 on it though, that way you will have everything you need without anymore delay.
Expert:  Stephen replied 11 years ago.
In the control panel -- double click on modems.

If
no modem is currently installed on your computer, the Install New Modem
Wizard starts automatically to lead you through the steps for
installing a modem. Follow the online instructions.

If the wizard does not auto start then you will need to click on

add and that should fire it up.

If windows does not automatically register the modem that is

there then you may need to manually select it.

Most hardward companies provide drivers to download via the web for
even the oldest of hardware, so if you know the modem type you can
download the needed drivers and re-install that way as well.

when it comes to drivers for hardware windows 98 is the worse os that windows ever had, XP on the other hand makes recovering troubles like this a ease. tell me what kind of modem you have and your email I will locate (or try to locate) the driver needed and send it to you. you can copy it to a disk and use it to re set your modem plus have it for later.
Actually windows 3.1 was the worst, windows 95 was better, windows 98 was better yet, and then came along windows 2000! :)
Expert:  Stephen replied 11 years ago.
I would have to put my vote on Windows ME as being the worst ever.

oh yes I forgot about that ME you are right

So Windows ME is the worst ever WindowsOS for drivers even though Windows 3.1 and earlier came with little to none? At least in ME you had generic drivers to use.

Expert:  Stephen replied 11 years ago.
I would say yes to that.

Windows 3.1 was great for the time -- in fact it was ground breaking.

Windows ME just plained sucked.

Look at it this way -- if you take the greatest mainframe programmer
from the early 70's and put him in the 90's and ask him to make you a
web site , he would have no clue what you wanted. Does that make
him a bad programmer -- no - just outdated.

Windows ME, even for it's time blew. The generic drivers it came
with rarely worked the way they were supposed to and simple processes
like booting up took forever and sometimes didn't work at all.

I think even Bill Gates would take ME back if he could.

The only real issues I have been notified of concerning Windows Me was that it was less stable and froze every 15 minutes, it was just a marketing failure. The only real breakthrough after Windows 3.1 was Windows NT, you had stability and reliability you couldn't find on home users computers.

Windows95/98/Me were built from MS-DOS, NT was built on its own technology and only emulates DOS. The cons outweigh the pros when switching from DOS based OS's to Nt Technology.

I think you guys are bashing Windows ME because there were few differences between it and good ole 98SE.