Christopher Valk
Christopher Valk, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Formerly Brainbench Certified

What does video mode not supported mean

I booted up my computer and I saw where it said Windows 98 with the blue cloud background as it was loading up... and then I got a black screen with a white box and in the box it says "video mode not supported." What am I doing wrong? What can I do to get this error message to go away?
It is possible that your screen resolution is set too high for your video card or monitor to handle.

One possible way to fix this issue is to reboot and when you see the "Windows 98" screen press F8 and select "Safe mode". After safe mode boots up you can right click anywhere on your desktop and select "Properties", proceed to the "Settings" tab and set your screen area to "800x600", and set your colors to "16bit".
Another possible way to fix this issue is to boot in safe mode and download the correct drivers from your cards manufacturers website(ie: ATI).
Let me know if you need further assistance. Good luck!