Dustin, Webmaster
Experience:  Internet Junkie
92970

PC expertise needed

Could you please explain how to empty the cache in Windows XP, and where to find these files?

Why do I have to keep allowing more memory for the paging files, which goes beyond the recommended amount allowed?

Seems this contains three questions, the last one is, whenever I open AOL, the external modem must be unplugged two times for it to connect. This is a phone-line connection. I have removed all the software, programs, tried new CD's, and reinstalled the entire system, yet the problem still exists.

I have found this site to contain very intelligent and wonderfully exceptional people.

Your help is always extremely appreciated.
In Internet Explorer, go to Tools>>Internet Options In the first Tab choose the "Delete Files" option. When the next box comes up, be sure toi hit the "Delete all off line content" checkbox too.

It's also wise to delete all internet cookies at the same time.

Under the settings option right next door, you can set the amount of memory used to cache internet pages. Depending on your available memory, you generally want this set to between 3-5% of your total available memory.

AOL problem with your modem is something I will investigate via the web a little further.... My #1 suggestion to most folks is to try anything BUT AOL for internet service.
There are a few good webpages out there concerning the AOL modem connectivity problem.

Here's just one: http://www.scrapbookscrapbook.com/aol-problems.html

With Service Pack 2, Microsoft introduced a utility to control "BHO's" and "Active X controls". This sounds like where your problem could be located.

Again, in Internet Explorer go to Tools>>Internet Options>>Temporary Internet Files and click the settings box. THe next box that pops up has a choice that says "View Objects". THis area will show you all the BHO's (Browser Helper Objects) that have been downloaded to your system. It sounds as if one of those objects needs to be deleted to regain connectivity. Find anything related to AOL and see if it is "damaged" under the status column.

The email referenced above apparently came from an AOL support tech... While it is a lengthy process, I am nearly 100% positive your problems lie in one of the suggestions mentioned there.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dustin's Post: Hello,

I have done these already, except the cache size. I only have 570 mb left on the D drive, yet there is 26 gb left on my C drive. How can I expand the D drive?

Thank you so much for the first suggestions.
Is D a hard drive, CD drive, tape drive or what?
Your D drive does not sound too full ... Are you getting any low memory errors or warning ?? The ratio sounds about the same as my own system and all system reports look normal.

You can try a few things however:

GO to my Computer>D: Drive and right click on it. Pull down to properties and choose Disk Cleanup there. I showed 0 KB as amount of space that could be gained. If yours is the same, click the top tab "More Options" where you can clean up unused windows components, installed programs, and system restore entries that go back to the first use of your computer.

Now, go back to "My COmputer" and right click on the D drive again. Choose properties again and on the top tabs choose "Tools". Here you can check for erros and defragment your disk. You can do all of these same tests and tools on your C drive as well... Noone ever defragments a drive as often as they should....

If all else fails and you just want to speed up your computer a touch, get a RAM optimizer that will give you that extra pep.. Many can be had for free: http://www.freewarefind.com/archives/memory_tools.html
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

Thanks for your suggestions Dustin.

I still have an issue with AOL and my modem connection. It is a Robotics Faxmodem and dislikes working with XP anyway.
There must be some answer to this problem of having to unplug the external modem 2x's everytime I try to connect to AOL?
What I don't understand is why this just started a month ago when I've used AOL for over 2yrs on this PC?

Each of your other suggestions, I have already done, my drives are always clean.

Thanks so much :)
Sounds like a driver problem .. WHile this may not be your model, the process will be the same. The key is find the existing driver and replace it withone off the install disc, because XP apparently has it's own default driver. I once had a problem like this with a Bluetooth installation. ((crosses fingers))

Windows XP Users
Windows XP users must be in administrator mode to properly
add any new hardware.
• Windows XP will initially install a modem using the default
driver provided with XP. To install your modem, click Windows
Start Start, right-click the My Computer icon, and click Properties Properties.
• Click the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.
• Under Modems, double-click U.S. R Robotics obotics 56K F FAX X E EXT XT to
get the modem’s properties.
• Click the Driver tab and select Update Driver Driver.
• Make sure that Install from a list or specific location (Ad- Advanced)
vanced) is selected, and click Next Next.
• Select Don’t search I will choose the driver to install and
click Next Next.
• Make sure U.S. R Robotics obotics 56K F FAX X E EXT XT is selected and click
Have Disk Disk.
• Type D:\ and click OK. If your CD-ROM drive uses a different
letter, type that letter in place of the “D.”
If that doesn't work at all let me know the precise model # XXXXX name of what you are using.

Also :

http://www.usr.com/support/5699/5699-files/5699-ug.pdf

Which contains this :

TROUBLESHOOTING AND HELP RESOURCES

· If your dealer can't help you, contact
3Com Customer Support. When you
call, specify your modem serial number
(found on the modem and on the
outside of the box), the software being
used, and, if possible, have the
contents of your ati7 screen available.
Customer Support via the Phone

Regular Phone Service (NNN) NNN-NNNN
8:00 am - 6:00 pm CST Monday - Friday.
Automated service is available 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week.

Priority, No-Hold Service
3Com also staffs its own fee-based 900
number for immediate assistance. These
lines are staffed from:
8 a.m. - 10 p.m. CST (Mon. - Fri.)
10 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST (Sat. - Sun.)
No-Hold line 900 555 USR1
Dustin, Webmaster
Experience: Internet Junkie
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Morning Dustin,

You have placed some very helpful techniques for me to try here, but since I am in the middle of moving, it is impossible to try any at the moment.
I am excepting your answer in the hopes that if this does not resolve it, you will still be available in the future with more tips for me.

Thank you so much for your time, effort and kindness you have given to my questions. :)
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hello Dustin,

I have just encountered another problem. My MS XP Professional Word application sends me this error message while trying to save text from a website. "May contain features that are not compatable with plain text format." "Do you want to save the document in this format?" Clicking yes, saves. Clicking no, saves a copy in latest word format. Why did I just start receiving this message and how can I get it back to saving the hyperlinks in order to click and forward to that link?

Thank you once again for any suggestions.
If I am reading this right, it can be solved by simply preforming a system restore to a time previous to the first time you noticed the error.

Otherwise, it sounds like the default "save as" file type may have been accidentally changed or a third party add-on is doing this:

Add-ins...One of Word's Most Common Problems

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=282

Many third-party programs can add files to work with Word, but they may have issues that also cause them to conflict with Word. Read this article to find out how to easily test for this problem and how to go about fixing these issues. This fix solves many errors related, in particular, when you're getting mysterious error message when trying to open or close Word.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

I recently went into the add-ons to unable any not being used. I have Spyware Dr. and Registry Dr. for third party annoyances. Would this not detect any additional add-ons?

Thank you again for a speedy response.
I am not familiar with Spyware Dr. and Registry Dr. and they may not be reliable.

I suggest you use Spyobt S&D, Microsoft AntiSpyware or Ad-Aware to stop spyware if that is the 'add-ons' you mean.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Dustin's Post: Hello Dustin,

I just installed cable on my PC and according to the company, the modem issue was caused by a bad ethernet card in my system. They had to disable the 1394 ethernet and override it somehow, yet it shows a dual network connection now, (connection 5 & connection 7) for the cable. I don't quite understand why there would be two? I purchased another ethernet to install soon.

Just an update for anyone else coming across this problem. :)

Sorry, but 1394 means FireWire.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: Not in my PC, 1394 is a network adapter that is needed to obtain a fast speed connect to the server for better performance. I am a bit confused as to your answer...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hello Paul,

Your answers are vague and really not helpful, earlier to another question you asked what the hard drive is on my PC after I already stated this, even if I hadn't, most hard drives are usually the same drive in an average PC. May I ask if you are reading these questions correctly?

Thank you for trying.
Oh yeah....

I must have been off task and typed in that question before your reply and not press sumbit, anyway.

Quote:

As for that answer I meant that you should try Spybot, MicrosoftAntispyware or Ad-aware to try to get rid of them to your question regarding third party annoyances.

1394 will be regarding Firewire, it is in the same area as Ethernet, but is not networking related, so are you sure?

By dual-connection do you mean two network connections or a network bridge.

If you don't understand just tell me.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Morning,

Hmm, let me try again. Adware is a potential dangerous tool to use, it steals your information and directs it to other areas that can be harmful to your computer, so I would never recommend using this to anyone. Spy Dr. and Registry Dr. are better programs to delete dangerous items such as, "Adware" from your computer.

The (1394 Net Adapter) as it is named, is positioned under the computer management as device manager for Net Work Adapters. If the ethernet is disfunctional, this Adapter will not operate correctly and thus, slow down the process of your computer, stopping you from using such hardware as, copier, fax, scanner, etc..

Hopefully this can answer your questions, it may be a different set up on your computer, yet this is the way mine is designed.

Regards

"Deleted By HASNUT"

Sorry, but what is this question now, it seems to be five different ones?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: Dear XXXXX,

Either your not very good at this, or your just looking for someone to chat with.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hmm,

Thank you both for answering, but the question your working on is an old one, why it is still popping up as my new question, I have no clue. The only answer I was looking for today was about, "multiple emails and hiding the addresses as they are opened." Someone did answer this for me earlier today.

Thank you so much for all your efforts.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

Have a wonderful day! I am sure my computer questions for you have not reached an end. :)
Quote:

No I was confused why Hasnut answered a question which is weeks old over a new one in the same thread.

My computer experise is good, and I've had more customers here than Dusin in computers.

Regards,

Paul.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: Paul,

Please don't take offense, apparently you were working on an old question. I am sure your very good at technical issues. Thank you very much for trying to answer my question. Have a wonderful day!

Regards