Wes Alvaro
Wes Alvaro, Programmer
Experience:  I am a highly advanced computer user with many qualifications and years of computer education.
16826

having multiple NIC cards on server speed of the network

Customer Question

I have thirty workstation running windows xp pro sp2. I have one windows 2000
server running all the latest service packs and updates. This server has 3
NIC cards. One of the NIC cards is hooked up to the hub and the hub is hooked
to the router, but the rest two are hooked up to hub as well. The router's DHCP server address scheme is 192.168.10.1 -192.168.10.254. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The router is provided by T1 line provider. They made it so one WAN ip address translates to multiple private address. So all the workstations gets internet.

Here is what I want to do. I want to utilize the other two cards so 1/3 of
the workstations can use one NIC card and the second third can use the second
NIC card and the last third can utilize third NIC card.

Here is my strategy. I was planning to keep the first card with
configuration of:

---IP Address: 192.168.10.200
---Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
---Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1
---DNS: 192.168.10.1

2nd Card

---IP Address: 192.168.11.200
---Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
---Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1
---DNS: 192.168.10.1

3rd card
---IP Address: 192.168.12.200
---Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
---Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1
---DNS: 192.168.0.1

The workstation will follow network ip address scheme of one of the server's
nic card.

Here are my questions:
1.   Will the internet work on all pc or it will stop on the one not using the
network scheme of the DHCP server from the router?

2. I also have TCP/IP printer will that affects everyones printer.

3. By dividing the workstation to certain nic card will make the network
flow much faster or slower.

Category: Computer
Expert:  Wes Alvaro replied 11 years ago.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure that I understand what you are trying to do fully. Let me get this straight:

You have one computer with internet (X), and 30 workstations
(Wn). You want to have all the work stations be able to work on
the internet using X as a gateway. You want to know if splitting
up the computers onto different NICs will speed the network or
internet? I believe that you are going about this completely
wrong, personally. If I were you, I would dump the third NIC card
and purchase a fast Network Switch from either Cisco or DLink or
NetGear, or someone. You should get a switch that has the
possibility to accomodate all of your systems (Wn). Connect X to
the internet, set it to use ICS, and act as a DHCP server itself.
Connect the second NIC of X to the switch uplink and connect all of
your computers to the switch. This commercial use switch will
greatly increase the speed of your network, not more NIC cards and
splits. Switches are designed in-the-hardware to handle packets,
computers can be software controlled to do the same thing, however with
less efficiency. At my work, (Oak Ridge National Laboratory), I
am able to access a computer on the other side of the plant with less
than one ms ping with this technique. I also have a home network
where I bought a cheap (AKA crap) Belkin (don't ever buy anything
Belkin except cables) Router and I get 14 ms
pings from the computers directly connected to it. I have also
used my computer as a router in the same way and it has given me no
better than 4-10 ms pings. Simply using a cheap (AKA good buy) DLink 5-port Switch (I love DLink) I can break to about 2-3 ms pings. In my honest opinion, your use of multiple NIC cards like that, will slow your network. So my final suggestion is:

WWW -> X -(via ICS and DHCP Serve)> SWITCH -> 30Wn

This way, you won't have to worry about conflicts or computers getting lost and everything will be happy and FAST.
Put your printer wherever you like with this config, it will all work
the same. One thing though, you may have to use a third NIC to
act as the host for X since sometimes you have trouble contacting the
uplink computer for shares.

Hope that this helps, let me know if you have any questions about what I said.

Good luck!

-Wes

PS ...and have a great day! I am in the best mood!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to walvaro's Post: Thanks for your help but that is not the direction i am looking for.

Let me explain what I am trying to do here.

I have 30 workstations and 1 server. All 30 workstations are windows xp pro. The server is windows 2000. We are running a star topology network. All the computers including the server is connection 50 port switch network hub by Linksys/cisco. We have one router provided by the t1 service provider. The router provides us with the internet and translate the internet to 31 machines (30 workstation and 1 server). The router is connected to the hub. The Router is the DHCP server. So all the pc including the server get their Ip address from the router. I made the server address static so if it has to reboot it does not loose its ip address that it had before.

Anyhow, that is the background. Let me tell you what i am trying to do. The server already has three NIC cards in it. The owner told me that the last tech guy made the network run faster by utlizing the three network cards.

My idea was to use each network card to answer only 10 workstation. What i mean is if i type in the UNC for the server it will only use the first network card to get my data or process information the server that i sent to the server. Now imagine that I have 10 workstation using the frist network card to get my data.

The second 10 workstation will use the second nic card. basically there is no bottle neck from using one NIC CARD. My idea work. Let me tell how it work.

Servers network card 1.

IP Address 192.168.10.200
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.10.1

Workstation 1 -10 had IP address range of 192.168.10.1 --- 192.168.10.254. The subnet mask and the default gateway was same.

Server network card 2.

IP Address 192.168.11.200
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.10.1

Workstation 11 - 20 had IP address range of 192.168.11.1 --- 192.168.11.254. The subnet mask and the default gateway was same.

Server network card 3.

IP Address 192.168.12.200
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.10.1

Workstation 21 - 30 had IP address range of 192.168.12.1 --- 192.168.12.254 The subnet mask and the default gateway was same.

So if i go to computer thirty it will send the data from my pc to the hub and straight to the third network card to get my data from the server. This works great, but my printer and internet don't work. My printer is using a TCP/IP port. It is using the ip address scheme of the first network address scheme. So if i am on computer thirty it will not print. My internet does not work either. i am assuming because the router is giving out the DHCP address to the workstation it getting confused. I have manually configured all thirty pc with their ip address.

So basically the model i have created can you help me get my internet and printer work on all thirty computers?