Wes Alvaro
Wes Alvaro, Programmer
Experience:  I am a highly advanced computer user with many qualifications and years of computer education.
16826

Cant install windows program on XP Home

I'm trying to install a Windows program that is supposed to be usable on all Windows formats but I get an error message of "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The systems file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications"

It appears it's not compatable with this OS. Is there any software or any other way of getting this installed. Tech support is not available to me on this.

I also tried this on my lapto running 98SE and it starts to go through the "preparing to install" stage but seems to stall at 99 or 100% and eventually disappears like nothing ever was done. I'd like to get this installed on at least on of my computers. Got any ideas?

HiCustomer

What program is it? I may be able to help more if I know this.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: Hi Paul
It's a high security subscription service that I prefer no to mention here. The security is not in the base program though, it's in accessing the data discs that come with the program but I have a subscription timer key to do that. I know it works as it was tried on another computer before it was given to me.

What operating system is it for? Does your PC match the system specs? Is it on a CD or was it a download? Could you send me the contents of this system file to analyize, or would you rather not? It's up to you.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: The CD doesn't specify which OS and I don't have the accompanying paperwork. It's not out dated for XP as it was issued for 4th qtr of 2003 but I suspect it wasn't designed for Home edition as it is a business software. It's an information system for automotive repair. The base program doesn't use any security though. I can't understand why I'm having a problem with 98SE though. It trys to install there but stalls out and quits. I'm just wondering if there are any helper programs that can override this install system.
Is your CD scratched?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: No, it's not a problem with the CD. It just worked on another computer.
Are you computers networked?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: No, just sharing wireless Internet access.
So they are. I'm sorry, but I'll need the programs name to proceed any further.

You can give me the name, as no harm will come out of it.

Regards,

Paul

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: Has anyone else got any suggestions?
Could you post the contents of your computer's AUTOEXEC.NT?

So I can attempt to determine what's causing this?

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Paul's Post: There are no contents. It's a Windows file.

Thanks Paul, you were on the right track, but to no avail.

Our friends at Microsoft are actually helping us out with this
one. Most likely, this program is MS-DOS based or otherwise a
16-bit application. This problem has nothing to do with your version of
windows and seems to be just a plague... This looks very
promising as to fix your problem

BEST of luck and read on, I've written more.

Your error fits exactly with what MicroShaft says:

16-bit MS-DOS
Subsystem

path to the program that you are trying to start or
install

C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is
not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose
'Close' to terminate the
application.

The cause according to them is:

CAUSE

This issue may occur if one or more of the following files
are missing or damaged:

• config.nt

• autoexec.nt

• command.com

Simply because I am not sure you will accept my answer, I am just going
to post what M$ says about fixing it. If you have ANY questions,
I would be MORE than happy to help you through any of the steps.
If you like my answer, please send me a message and I can personally
assist you as you complete the following tasks:

RESOLUTION REQUIRES WINDOWS INSTALL CD

To resolve this issue:

1. Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

4. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com

exit

5. Start or install the program. If the issue is
resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not
resolved, go to the next step.

6. Note: The Command.com file is not edited or
created in this in the following process. Because of this, you may have
to expand it from your Windows XP CD-ROM.

Start Notepad.

7. In Notepad, type the following entries:

dos=high, umb

device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys

files=40

8. On the File menu, click Save As.

9. In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close the Config.nt file.

10. On the File menu, click New.

11. In the new blank document, type the following entries:

@echo off

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\redir

lh %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dosx

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

12. On the File menu, click Save As.

13. In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close the Autoexec.nt file.

14. Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt file, and then click Copy.

15. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.

16. Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.

17. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.

18. Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com file, and then click Copy.

19. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste. Restart your computer.

If the issue continues to occur, copy the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt
files from the Repair folder in Windows to the System folder. To do so,
follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then click OK.

2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.

3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and then click OK.

4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click Paste.

5. Right-click the Autoexect.nt file that you just copied, and then click Properties.

6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.

7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to copy the Config.nt file.

Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the files will be removed after you restart Windows.

Wes Alvaro, Programmer
Experience: I am a highly advanced computer user with many qualifications and years of computer education.
Sorry, butCustomerhas sent me the specs, and if the program needs Windows 98SE and/or above and a 600mhz processor I don't think it's 16bit!
Reply toCustomer All Windows system files have contents. Open up Notepad, and load the system file and there it is. Can you send me this or a copy of the file itself?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.

Thanks Wes

I was able to eventually resolve the install issue with the info you gave me only to have another problem with the subscription key and being unable to write the driver for it. That's probably a copyright thing anyway. It aborts the whole install right at the end. I'm accepting your answer but leaving the question open just in case you have any ideas on the new problem. Thanks again.

Without any extra information, I don't think there is a way for me to solve that one. Thank you for the accept. The bonus was very much appreciated. I wish that I could help more.

For everyone else's information:
Even if the requirements are Windows 98, the program can still be 16-bit. Windows 98 was the last of the 16-bit operating systems put out by Microsoft. Windows 98, however, does contain a 16-32bit hybrid kernel enabling it to execute both kinds of programs. This is where you can run into a lot of trouble with migrating from 98-XP or 200 with some business applications.