Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...

Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Computer Operator
Experience:  I have been a heavy home user of Win-based PCs since Win 3.1 - 5.25" floppies and 20 mg Hard Drives.
14607

Cell Phones & Auto-dialers

Customer Question

writing novel- How can auto-dialer in U.S.calling U.S #'s accidentaly contact European cell phone? What needs to happen? Random dialing in US accidentally connects to European cell phone. How? What combo of #'s
Category: Computer
Expert:  Yosemite Sam replied 11 years ago.
Call Forwarding:

US Number automatically forwards to EU #
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Yosemite Sam's Post: Hey Sam:

Good answer, but it won't work for this situation.

Thanks for trying,
Customer
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Hey Andy:

I don't see any answer from you.
Customer
There are many ways a us phone # XXXXX lead to a UK Cell.

Call Forwarding,
GSM Phones, + Service = http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/sim.asp,
Internet phone ( Vonage ).

Etc.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Yosemite Sam's Post: Sam: Thanks for trying.
Ms
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 11 years ago.

First let's talk about the basic logistics of making a telephone call out of the United States.

This is the dialing format:

Dial: "011 -- then country code -- then city code -- then number. 

To reach the AT&T International Operator, dial "00". If you are calling to a country with an 809 or 808 country code, do not need to dial 011, but you do need to dial 1.

This resource lists international Country Codes and City Codes.

Now let's talk about possible scenarios whereby an international mis-dial might happen in your story:

To me, the most believable situation would be that a speed dial code on
the cell phone somehow got replaced with the international
number.  This just seems more believable than someone accidentally
dialing several more digits than normal -- beginning with the unlikely
combination: '011'.

This also allows you to pick and choose among several possibilities for how this speed dial mischief occurred -- such as:

Practical joke

Kid

Cat

Co-Worker

Ex-Spouse from Hell-- well, you get the idea.

One more thing (in case you're not familiar with it) -- in United States
movies and television, the local telephone prefix is always
'555'.  In other words you might see a number like: 1-541-555-6739.

555 is a  'dummy' prefix -- no United States area code has any
telephone number beginning with 555 -- this means that no innocent
soul ends up being bombarded with tons of nuisance telephone calls just because
his telephone number happened to appear in a book or movie.

The 'fly in the ointment' is that if European countries (or the European
Union as a whole) have dummy prefixes -- I have no idea what they are,
or how to find them.  If this issue worries you at all, probably
the simple solution would be to decide which foreign country and city
you want to use in your novel's scenario -- and simply contact a
telephone provider there for advice on which prefix (or
entire telephone number) to use.

Let me know if you need more input.  If not, thanks for the
opportunity to assist you... I would really appreciate your honoring my
efforts by 'pushing the button' and Accepting this answer.

Good Luck!

Steve

Experience: I have been a heavy home user of Win-based PCs since Win 3.1 - 5.25" floppies and 20 mg Hard Drives.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: Hey Steve: I appreciate your taking the time to try to help me with my problem. I intend to see that you get paid for your effort, and maybe we can be of further benifit to each other. Please consider the possibility of working with me as a technical advisor on my novel. It needs some "smartening up" with regards XXXXX XXXXX terminology. Nothing really heavy, just minor things in the area of computers, side arms, nuclear weapons, Mossad heirarchy,Rabinical studies, etc. Let's talk! [email protected]
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
No Comment Added
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: The clock on the timer (connected to the bombs in Morocco) has descended to less than an hour. 54 minutes, 17 seconds, to be exact. Clarence’s auto-dialer (in New Jersey) is still clicking away. We can see the red light on the timer in the crevasse blinking, and we can see the numbers on the auto-dialer changing. The numbers are not following in sequence since they are actual phone numbers of gas stations in an area chosen before hand by Clarence. Just before returning to bed after moving a restless Magnus into the waiting arms of his mother, Clarence hit the reset button on the computer and entered 212 for NYC. “Maybe the people returning to New York are starting to show up at the gas stations?” He figured that a change of location was in order. His wall clock showed 5:05 in the morning.
     “Why not work with some numbers on the east side” he thought? Next, he hit the reset button on his auto-dialer, twice, just to make sure it cleared. Still half asleep, and working without sufficient light, instead of hitting the delete key on the auto-dialer, he accidentally hit the button next to it which happened to be the 0. Not once, but twice. 00. Then, he pressed in 1 212 for New York.
After confirming that the machine had commenced dialing, he returned to bed and settled in as a third spoon should.
     Unbeknownst to Clarence, 001 212 is the area code for Morocco. Yep, Al-Nassar bought his cell phones when he arrived in Tangier, Morocco. The auto-dialer stops, and sounds an alarm as it too, starts to blink red.   The timer on the bombs was awaiting a certain number to be dialed. Once Clarence’s auto-dialer called that number, the timer was satisfied and the bombs were turned off. The auto-dialer interprets the connect with the timer as a completed call, and signals Clarence. The beeping of the alarm awakens Clarence from a sound sleep.
      Elise also looks up from her pillow. “What’s that?” she asks Clarence.      
     “Ah, I guess the machine connected with someone’s number,” he said half a awake.
     Deep in the crevasse we can see that the ten lights have all stopped blinking.
     “Well aren’t you going to answer it?” asks a bewildered Elise.
     “Yeah, I guess, but I’m sure comfortable.” Clarence gets up and grabs the phone from the blinking auto-dialer. “Hello, hello?”
     No answer. He returns to bed.
     Elise says, “Who was it?”
      “No one home,” says Clarence.
     “Oh well, you can’t win ‘em all.”
     Clarence’s auto-dialer has stopped at 001(NNN) NNN-NNNN and is blinking.

Problem: 1. of many. 011 needs to be used rather than 001.
             2. Originally, auto-dialer played recorded tape to customer who answered line.. If they wanted to talk to telemarketer they would push # XXXXX or a number on their phone, thereby notifying telemarketer that there was a live person on the line that wanted to talk. That’s when the auto-dialer would signal Clarence. I’ve since left out the tape because there’s no one there to ask for Clarence.

Re-stating problem. Clarence is in NJ. His auto-dialer w/computer and software is calling database of telephone numbers of gas station owners.
He sets machine to dial NYC numbers (212). Machine accidentally dials Morocco where cell phone was purchased with Moroccan number. (212)
Cell phone is connected to timer which is connected to bomb. Obviously, no one is going to answer cell phone and push button for more info. How do we make it so that the bombs explode?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: Hey Steve:
Get back to me please. Another problem. [email protected]