Ask Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport Your Own Ques...

Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Computer Operator
Experience:  I have been a heavy home user of Win-based PCs since Win 3.1 - 5.25" floppies and 20 mg Hard Drives.
14607

How to erase ALL personal history,but keep and backup essential

I am Selling my labtop. How do I erase All my "browsing histoy",Which pops up each time I enter a letter to msn, or google.I also would like to save essential components to my external hard drive, so I can help out when he crashes the computer. We are both very new and clueless to all of this,and crash regularly. System is a dell pent 2 with 4.5 gb labtop with xp pro jammed in successfully by the person who gave it to me.

In your browser window (up at the top) click on 'Help' then click on
'Index' or 'Search' and type in 'History' there should be a topic on
how to delete your browser history.

After doing this, you will also want to delete your 'tempory internet files' and empty your 'Recycle Bin'.  To
do this, hit your (Windows) "Start' Button > Programs>
Accessories> System Tools> DiskCleanup.

Good Luck!

Steve

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: thankyou,
no luck, my browser is already set at 0 days history, clear history, yet i always see the previous searches at google and more , i don't want everyone to see this info, maybe windows, or google is storing it?
When you set your history to zero days did you also clear your history?

I understand that Google has -- just recently -- made a Google Search History available.  And yes, that history is stored on Google.  It is an option which you must opt into and can opt out of.

So, if you haven't opted into Google History, what you may be seeing is actually something called 'smartfill' (or a
similialy named browser function) which fills in whatever you type in
based on past choices.

The easiest way to dump this is to remover your browser software before
selling your laptop.  Your friend can easily install his own
browser for free.

Hit Start> Settings> Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs. 
Then scroll down to your Browser Program and Hit Change/ Remove.

Are there any other  items which you are not able to clear?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Experience: I have been a heavy home user of Win-based PCs since Win 3.1 - 5.25" floppies and 20 mg Hard Drives.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Oreport's Post: Three days ago, my computer stopped printing my history. Apparently I believe in karma. So I have decided to pay you. And thank you although I'm not quite sure what worked.
I will turn over the computer to the new owner tomorrow, and as part of my original question. I meant to ask how I might create a backup for him, in case of a future crash.

I have only a CD burner, and I'm not sure which files to copy as most are too large to fit on a CD. thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck.

Thank you so much for accepting my answer.

Re: backup -- newer versions of Windows -- such as Windows 2000 and (I believe) Windows XP have a fairly robust backup utility.

To find it -- hit Start» Programs» Accessories» System Tools» Backup.

Even the most basic backup will probably take more than one CD --
however, all you do is pop in a new blank CD when the program asks you
for it.  Just remember to number the backup CDs in consecutive
order.

A quick note on what to back up:

Software -- if your laptop included copies of the software on actual
CDs then (assuming that you are including those CDs in what you're
selling your friend) -- there should be no need to back up the software
programs.

If, on the other hand, you did not get software CDs with your computer
-- there should be something called a 'Mirror Directory' (or some
similar name) which includes copies of the included software
specifically designed for backup.  All of this should be covered
in the documentation included with your laptop.  If not you could
possibly checked with the dealer for advice and assistance.

Assuming that there is no need to backup software this leaves
data.  Meaning information of one form or another which you put
into your computer over time.  Since this data is most likely
comprised of information you input (most of it would most likely be in
the My Documents directory -- or a subdirectory of that) it is probably
personal and you'll most likely want to back it up for yourself and
then delete  it from your laptop before selling it.

I hope this helps.  Thanks again.

Good Luck!

Steve