xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
94965

Digital Photography

Customer Question

I am looking to find an expert in the field of how digital camera take pictures. Not an expert of the mechanics of the camera, but of the physics involed and more importably what kind of objects, such as a magnet or some sort of frequency, would blurr a picture. thanks Court
Category: Computer
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Digital cameras use charge-coupled devices arranged in pixels
to record the intensity of incident light. For an image to be
blurred implies that one pixel, in addition to recording the light
incident upon it, is also being affected by what is happening in
adjacent pixels. There are several possibilities.

From your use of the word "blur", I can't determine if you are
referring to a streaking effect, or a radial effect, so I'll briefly
cover both.

First, streaks. The most common reason for this is camera
movement while the exposure is being made. This is the result
of either an exposure time that is too long (slow 'shutter speed'),
for the manner in which the camera is held stationary. Typically,
a hand-held camera will produce crisp images provided the
exposure time is 1/60 sec or less. However, your question asks
about more abstruse causes, "magnets", and "frequencies".
Here, it is possible that in the presence of a strong magnetic
field, electrons freed from a CCD element could be accelerated
by the field and "land" in an adjacent pixel. I have no figures,
but I suspect the field would have to be very large before such
an effect was visible.

For radial blurring, the most common cause is "bleeding" or
"blooming". This occurs when so much light falls on a pixel that
it becomes saturated and can record no more. The excess
energy is distributed among adjacent pixels, and may also drive
them into saturation. This can cause the edges of bright objects
that are against a dark background to appear blurred. This is an
inherent design flaw in most cameras, and in my opinion is the
worst feature of digital cameras. It is not however caused by any
external influence such as a magnetic field. I can't think of an
external influence that would have this effect.

I hope I have addressed your question, but if I've missed the
point, get back to me and tell me what direction you'd like me to
follow.
xarqi, Generalist
Experience: 
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: Following my first question. Can anyone think of a way one could block a digital or tradital photo being taken of them. Meaning could someone wear some sort of non distracting device to blur a digital camera from taking their picture. Something that would emit some sort of frequency or field to make the picture distorted. I will pay another $10.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 years ago.
Checkered designs have been long been said to have the ability to do just this,... especially with lower quality video images. I say wear checkered.
Expert:  Tyler replied 11 years ago.
For your car:

http://www.1-radar-laser-jammers-detectors.com/photo_radar_jammer.html

Expert:  Tyler replied 11 years ago.
Oh, and if you didn't know, a small Electro Magnetic Pulse would solve the problem.

Try looking on the black market ;)

(Seriously - I don't think there is such a device, and if there is, it would almost certainly be illegal.)