xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
94965

Logictics & Product UOM - Multiple UOM

Customer Question

My question has to do with the use of unit of measure for items in a computer system. I have an item that is packaged in 2 unit of measures. Each type of Pack needs to be treated as a seperate product. What is the accepted standard way of setting up these 2 items & also relating them to each other so the system knows they are similar items?
Category: Computer
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Can you expand on what you mean by "the system knows they
are similar items" please.

How is this knowledge used?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: The term System refers to the Application Software. This information can be used to keep accurate count of the item. If you have one 6 pack Item of iten A and 1 12 pack of Item A. The items might be treated separately as the price could be different. But your net inventory count would still be 18 units. So when you sell the 6 pack or the 12 pack you may want to reduce the inventory appropriately.
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Such a system is very likely to be based on a relational database
system, and I'll answer in those terms.

There should be a table, indexed by a unique object
identifier for each item type in the inventory independant of the
number of units in which it is sold. This may also contain data
such as supplier, total units on hand, etc.

A second table will contain information concerning each object
for sale, with separate entries for different package quantities.
In this will be an indication of the number of items in the
package, and perhaps other data such as number of packages in
stock, colour, retail price, etc. The unique key for this table will
be what appears on the product bar code.

A third table will contain entries linking the two table so that
given the item key, all packaging types can be retrieved, or given
a package key, the item data can be retrieved.