Rick Washburn
Rick Washburn, Consultant
Experience:  Extensive knowledge of networking and desktop systems
114996

Prob re cable modem hookup tp router

Customer Question

I have a DSL connection with Earthlink, including a 2Wire (Brand Name) Home Portal P-100 Router and a "Speadstream" DSL modem. I have two computers both on Windows XP. One comp is connected to the router via an ethernet cable, and the other is connected using an HTML wired hookup with a LinkSys Card in this comp. I am in the process of trying to switch over to Comcast Cable, which has supplied a Tarayon Model TJ 715X cable modem. I have disconnected the Earthlink modem, but still have the Home Portal Router operating as a network router between two computers, with its Broadband light glowing red, as it is getting no internet signal. When I connect the Cable modem into my main computer (using USB ports on the modem and comp, it works fine. When I connect the output of the cable modem into the input of the router (using ethernet cable), I cannot get a connection. I cannot connnect the USB port from the cable modem to the router because the USB socket on the router is the wrong polarity (small square hole). I cannot get any support from Comcast re to the router because I did not get the router from them. I have not asked Eartlink for help here because I don’t feel comfortable asking them to help me in a situation whose sucessful completion would result in the loss of their customer. Someone suggested to me that there might be a reset button on the Home Portal which I should push \, but I cannot find one. I would appreciate any help I might get from anyone knowledgible in this area.
gbp
Category: Computer
Expert:  Rick Washburn replied 11 years ago.
Your problem can most likely bes solved with one of two cables:

Option 1: Use what is called a crossover ethernet cable to connect the new cable modem to your existing router. This should enable direct connection of these two devices. Note that you may need to update the router configuration from the current DSL values to slightly different ones suitable for Comcast. Try it as-is first, and it may work without any changes. If the router light turns green indicating a connection when you use the crossover cable, that's an indication you may need to update the router configuration. It's a good idea to reboot the router once it's connected to the cable modem, so it can obtain a new IP address (via a protocol called DHCP)

Option 2: USB cables can have 1 of 2 types of end connections, called type A and type B. Bring the cable you have to your local computer retailer and ask for a cable that has the combination of A/B ends you need for your particular setup.

Here's a link to the crossover ethernet cable I mentioned for reference: http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?in_dim_search=1&N=%2D216

Good luck!

-Rick