Billy
Billy, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Many years of desktop support for large company. Certified MSOfiice power user.
114054

microsoft word help

Customer Question

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Embedd A Program into My microsoft Word document So that The Program Will Run As Soon As The Document is opened ???
I was told that i could embedd this Program into microsoft word, so that the recipent just has to open it, and the file (program) will run ..
Can Anyone tell me how to do this ?????
Ill Be Waiting ..
                  Thank you , Brandi
Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric replied 11 years ago.
 Brandi,  which program did you want to start in word and how do you want it to start (any special trigger or just opening it)?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Eric's Post: Hi Eric ...
Im Sorry I took soo Long, My Apologies..
Im trying to embedd a Remote Monitoring Software.
It Is an exe.file and when you email it thru regular email, I have to zip it .. Then The recipient Has to unzip and download, then run..
It is small so it only takes a sec ..
But I was told if I embedd it into Microsoft word, then all the recipient has to do is open the document and the program will run ...
I think That what they mean is , the recipient just has to download the document and thats it ..
I can send you the file.. LOL .. But it wont be any fun watching your computer , since i dont know you at all !!
I own an internet site, and this is so i can see what the girls are up to that work for me ..
   Ill be watching for your response ..
           Thanks Eric
               Brandi
Expert:  Rick Washburn replied 11 years ago.
Unfortunately, so many virus programs have used this technique to install malicious programs on unsuspecting users machines, that it has become very difficult to deliver and run a program via email without the recipient's knowledge - and in many cases, approval. Depending on the operating system and version of MS Office your staff is using, one or more of the following components may block or at least request permission from the user before allowing any incoming executable program to run:

1. Microsoft Windows Itself (depends on version and patches applied)
2. The email software itself - especially Outlook
3. Almost any anti-virus package (and you should be running one for self-protection)
4. Recent versions of MS Office itself.

If the machines you'd like to monitor are owned by you and used by your employees for business purposes, you can legally monitor virtually all of their activity legally. The easiest way to do this is to simply install the utility you mentioned on their PC's, and configure it to automatically run each time the computer is started. Most of these utilities can configure themselves to auto-run and many can even conceal themselves from non-technical users. If your utility doesn't provide auto-start capability, you can simply paste a copy of the program icon in the startup group. Items in the startup group are run automatically when the machine is started (or user login occurs) There are lots of other utilities than can allow real-time monitoring or even record or log activity at regular or random times. While you don't have a legal requirement to disclose your monitoring, it would be a good idea to let your employees know that all computer use is subject to monitoring and that inappropriate use is a violationof company policies. If you find you need to terminate or discipline an employee for inappropriate use, this will provide an additional level of legal protection. Ideally, include a disclaimer in your hiring materials and have them sign it as a condition of employment.

There are lots of other options to monitor employee usage, post another question if you'd like more information.

-Rick
Expert:  Billy replied 11 years ago.
Brandi....In 2000 I started an online Investigation service. I have successfully used that of which you speak. It works great and is very efficient. The file you are trying to attach is a small executable batch file that executes when an attachment is opened. I had a cartoon that played out in Windows Media Player that when the email is opened the first frame of the cartoon appeared and when they hit the play button...............they were mine. The cartoon was incredibly cool which distracted attention and in most cases explained the warning message that XP will display after detecting the exe. file you attached to it. The name of the cartoon video was "Jurassic Fart". Very funny and a great distraction.
Billy, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Many years of desktop support for large company. Certified MSOfiice power user.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Ok Billy Can you help me with this Please ?
Tell me what program you used and how to get it .
Also if you can just help me a bit, to get it running that would be great !!
Ill be waiting ..
p.s.I was already thinking to myself , "too bad i cant just send them a bunch of pictures, so then when they opened the pix , it would be installed "
But The video sounds great too !!
Please respond A.S.A.P
                  Brandi
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
p.s. Supposedly there is no Message that is Displayed with this program ,. It is run in total stalth mode.. I tried it on myself, and all i had to do was download it, and click on run ..
I saw nothing, No warning , nothing .. :-)
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
I'll go out on a limb here and say that what you are trying to do
is impossible, and since I am offering no solution, this is a free
post.

There is no way to "attach" a program to a M$ Word document.
The closest thing is to include a macro in the document that
runs when the document opens. That macro could invoke the
"shell" function to cause an external program to run, but that
program must already be present on the target computer.

If you have already contrived to have the program present, there
is no need to resort to using Word to invoke it.

That having been said, I'll be interested to see if anyone can
show a way it can be done. That will reduce what little faith I
have in the integrity of M$ software to a new low.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ????
SEE THE PROGRAM IS AN .exe file .. So all I need is for it to be opened for it to run ..
normally it has to be downloaded, or somtimes you can just click on run and it installs itself ..
can you please explain how to do this macro thing ?
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX took soo Long, I just got back into town ,,
            Thanks, Brandi
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
There is no more to tell. As far as I know, it cannot be done.
You cannot in any way attach an executable file to a word
document.