Meitar M
Meitar M, Consultant
Experience:  Over 18 years computing experience, I am a professional Web developer and computer consultant.
1729

Real VNC

Customer Question

Help.... can anyone tell me how to disable the icon that shows up in the corner when using real vnc ??? Im trying to use it to monitor the computers in my office, with the person knowing its on, or to be able to turn it off ..    Can Anyone Help ?? ITS the only program i have , that i dont have to pay for .... Any Suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Spencer T. Wallman replied 11 years ago.
This will probably help you:

Can I hide the taskbar icon created by the Windows VNC Server?

No, not without changing and recompiling the source code. We feel that there would be few legitimate uses of VNC where you would need to conceal its operation. However, there might be occasions where you would not want the user of the server machine to be able to adjust the WinVNC settings, password, etc, so there is 'restricted' mode where the icon is still visible, but the menu options normally available from it will be disabled. See the advanced settings in the Windows VNC Server documentation.

The advanced settings will allow you to restrict someone from closing the app. Let me know if you need additional help getting this setup.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Spencer T. Wallman's Post: LOL ... YES I STILL NEED HELP ... I SEE THAT YOU COPIED AND PASTED THE SAME INFO I ALREADY READ ..
LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT, BECAUSE I CANT ...
               THANKS. BRANDI
Do you know if your users have "Administrative" rights to their computers? In other words, are they allowed to Add/Remove programs, get into Administrative Tools, etc. ?

Looks like the only thing that you can really do is just prevent them from closing VNC. Even when you connect up to monitor them, they will see that the icon changes color in the tray.

Actually, just looking on the web, I think I might've found a slight variation of RealVNC that supports disabling the tray icon. Let me do some research...
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Spencer T. Wallman's Post: OK, SOUNDS GOOD ... ILL BE WAITING FOR YOU INFO..
THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING ..
AND ACTUALLY I WANT TO MAKE THE COMPUTERS SO THEY DONT HAVE ADMIN RIGHTS, BUT LAST TIME I TRIED THAT IT MADE THE PROGRAM THEY USE TO WORK, NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY ...
               BYE FOR NOW ..
                         BRANDI
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
IM STILL WAITING FOR HELP ...
            ANYONE ??
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
IM STILL WAITING FOR HELP ON THIS ..
ALSO, WHEN IM AT MY OFFICE , THE VNC WORKS PERFECTLY ... THEN WHEN I COME HOME AND TRY TO USE IT, IT WONT CONNECT ...
                 HELP???
Expert:  Meitar M replied 11 years ago.
You're not going to find a RealVNC installation that doesn't have
the system tray notification. At least, not easily. Like the web site
says, and like you already know, this is a very powerful program
which has no ethical purposes without the notification in the
system tray. You're literally breaking the law by spying on
people without their knowledge, and the same applies for their
computers.

That said, it is *possible,* but *diffiuclt,* and the likelihood that
anyone would be willing to help you spy on people (and break
the law in the process) is remote. Especially on a public forum
like this.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Meitar Moscovitz's Post: ooooh ok ... i never thought of it like that ..
im using it now at my office, but just to make sure the girls are doing their job and not talkin g on messanger !! lol , i really dont spy on them, persay, but i can see what you mean ..
           Thank You .. Brandi