Sarder Hasnut
Sarder Hasnut, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  I am professional have CIW A, MCP, MCSD
5235

Yahoo! and Outlook Express

Customer Question

System: Windows Xp Home Edition, Outlook Express 6.0.

I use YahooPops software to access my Yahoo! email from Outlook Express. It works fine when I am logged into Windows as an administrative user account. But when I log in as a non administrative account Yahoopops stops working. How can I access my Yahoo mail using Outlook Express from a non administrative account (without having to subscribe to Yahoo!'s POP mail pay service.)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sarder Hasnut replied 11 years ago.

you again need to configure the yahoo pops for outlook using other account of windows.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sarder Hasnut's Post: I've already done that, but still it does not work. In fact it works fine when I change that same account from Limited to Administrative!
Expert:  JSoutter replied 11 years ago.
Try these step while logged into the non administrative account:

1 Select Tools -> Email accounts from the main menu
2 Select Add a new email account and click o­n Next
3 Select POP3 as the Server Type. Click Next
4 Enter your username and full Yahoo! email address under 'User Information'
5 Enter your Yahoo! Login id and password XXXXX 'Logon Information'
6 Enter 'localhost' as your Incoming mail server
7 Enter 'localhost' as the Outgoing mail server
8 Click o­n the More Settings button and select the Advanced tab
9 Increase the Server Timeout to 'Long' (5 minutes)
10 Select the Outgoing Server tab
11 Enable "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication". Select "Log o­n using" and enter your Yahoo Mail address as the username and your Yahoo Mail password XXXXX the password.
12 Click Ok to close the More Settings dialog
13 Click Next and then Finish

try stoping the yahoopops from taskbar and then go to start manu and select the yahoopops and right click  the yahoopops NOTE: when right click must pressing Shift Key. Then you will see run as option, there you place the admininistrator(not the limited one) usename and pass.

Then run it, and hope it will be ok.

Sarder Hasnut, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience: I am professional have CIW A, MCP, MCSD
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to JSoutter's Post: I had already set up a Yahoo! account in Outlook Express while logged into a non adminstitive account. I even reinstalled Yahoopops, but it still doesn't work!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sarder Hasnut's Post: To Sarder. I have accepted payment, but we're still halfway there!. Although what you suggested did work, but it seems this only works for the session (I have to do the same procedure everytime I log on to the account). How do I make the setting permanent?

Hi, There is no easy way to do it, ther is a product but its need to buy http://www.eltima.com/products/application-as-service/

if you want to buy it please test it before else

1. First remove the auto startup of yahoopops

2. Then select the yahoopops and right click properties from start menu

3. Click Advanced

4. Then click "Run with different cerdentials"

So, when you want to check mails, you need to give username and pass for the admin. Microsoft didn't give any way to save the username and pass for security unless the app run as service as the product do. You can search google to find that type of app for free.

Other issues can solve that you can use gmail account that give you pop3 access.

I think I have found a way to run it as service.

But make sure it does not load at startup using msconfig   command

http://vbwire.com/advanced/howto/service.asp

Enjoy