GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

OKPR121211 i want to achieve my old web site for reference

Customer Question

OKPR121211 i want to achieve my old web site for reference in the future in continuing to build my new site. There used to be "save for offline viewing " option but i don't see that any more (one would select the page/site desired and then select how many links "deep" to download and save. Is this no longer available in IE or chrome? ... is there a free program i can use to save this forever? PS I'll need to be able to copy for future pasting to my new site .... so saving a bunch of screen shots won't work .... (to tedious anyway)
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Programming
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 days ago.

Hi there. My name is***** would be my pleasure to help you with this. You can use the free Open Source Software called HTTrack to download a full copy of your website, including all files, links, media etc. for offline viewing. The full version is free to use and available from the link below:

https://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html

It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 days ago.

If the information that I have provided has been helpful, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. Thank you!

If you have any additional questions during the download process and while using it for the first time just let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
well .... i ran the program and says it completed ..... HTTrack Website Copier/3.48-22 mirror complete in 2 seconds : 2 links scanned, 1 files written (598 bytes overall) [1282 bytes received at 641 bytes/sec]
(No errors, 0 warnings, 0 messages)
but when i clicked "browse mirrored website" button my browser pops up with "You’re not connected to a network" (Cuz i'm not)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Also --- log says "2 links scanned" ... there should be at least 6 from the main page
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i want to archive (not achieve ... sorry) my old web site for..
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 days ago.

Hi there. I've used this program frequently for archiving complete copies of my own websites, so I know it works. What is yor website address. I'll be happy to try it for you and see if I can figure out what the problem might be.

Are you using the "Download all sites in pages (multiple mirror)" option? This option will download all sites that are referenced from your site, as well as your own file.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Www.pray4wm.org
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i don't see the "Download all sites" option
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
what tab would that be under the "Preferances and Mirror Options " dialogue box?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 days ago.

Good morning! I just used httrack to download your site. It worked beautifully. I read the same log file that you read, that shows 2 links scanned and 1 file written. I'm not sure why, but the log file is incorrect. When I went to the c:\ drive in Windows Explorer and then the MY WEB SITES folder (which is the default location for storing downloaded files) I clicked on the index file and then on the link for wwwprayer4wm.com and I was able to navigate the entire site. I didn't have to do anything special to the preferences.

I started a new project, gave it a name, and added the url. Just for future reference if you do want to change any of the default preferences or options this screen, you can click on the SET OPTIONS button on this screen. If you don't need to do that, click next.

You should be able to click on the file explorer icon (looks like a manila file folder) on your toolbar to navigate to the c; drive and then to MY WEB SITES.

If for any reason this doesn't work for you, please reply with the version of Windows or OSX that you are using.

In order to provide the best possible help, I will need to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

When your problem has been resolved, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it!. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating. You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Works great for me too .... as long as I'm online ..... which tells me it's pulling fIles from the Web .... I'm using 64bit win 7 .... your version works fine when your offline?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 days ago.

It does. I am using Windows 10 64 bit, but it should work just as well for Windows 7. IN a browser window, type c:\ and press enter. It should bring up a list of the contents of your drive. You should see a folder MY WEB SITES. Click on the folder to open it, then click on the index file to open it. Click the name of your website and the offlien version that is stored on yoru computer should open. Please lt me know if it works or not. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Sorry about the delay in rating ... I take from your last entry that I should try Windows 10 ... I haven't had a chance to try that yet ... again this program didn't work on my win 7 system
Expert:  GeekGal replied 21 hours ago.

Hi there. I apologize for the delay in my response. I took all day yesterday and a half day today off. It really SHOULD work just fine in Windows 7. I just took a look at the documentation for the program to be sure. I feel as though there is a step that you may be missing. If you'd like, I can offer the PREMIUM SERVICE of a SECURE REMOTE CONNECTION. This will allow me to see exactly what is happening on your computer and to work on the problem while you watch. This is completely optional. If you do not choose to take this service, I will do my best to walk you through a solution step by step here.