ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

Thank you for your help. I am developing a blog in wordpress

Customer Question

Hello, thank you for your help. I am developing a blog in wordpress (http://travelsbooksessays.com/). I would like to extend the width of the blog (for example, the title of the first post does not start all the way on the left aligned with the banner figure). How can I shift the boxes or columns in the blog? Or is it about reducing the margin? I am using Aileron theme.
JA: What programs and versions are you using?
Customer: I am using WordPress 4.7. I have access to the php codes through the wordpress interface.
JA: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: I would like to know how to alter the php code in wordpress to modify the outline of the blog. For example, there are two columns now. What php code would shift the columns left/right. Or cut the margins on the left/right.
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is it. Thank you so much!
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Programming
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
In general, can you also point me to other places in the php code where to change other things, like space above and below header, reduce space above menu, reduce space between post titles on the main sites, etc.
Expert:  Dustin replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 17 days ago.

Have you uploaded and selected a specific home page theme / layout or child theme / layout?

Such as Twenty Sixteen, etc?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Dustin, I'm chose aileron theme on Wordpress and trying to customize that to achieve what I wrote above. I have not changed it substantially yet and have not used a child theme (I think).
Expert:  Dustin replied 16 days ago.

Can you open up your hosting site, find your wordpress files,

Go into the themes folder for aileron and find me the style.css file, and then download that file and send it to me.

That way I can scan and find the correct line in which you need to edit, to enlarge the page width for that theme specifically.

Or, I can connect to your hosting platform, find the correct file and then show you how to edit the width..

Dustin S

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sounds good. I'll get to my computer within about an hour and will send the style.css file.
Expert:  Dustin replied 16 days ago.

All right, I will be close to my work account and computer for the next 8 hours. If I dont immediately respond give me half an hour at most and I should be back with you~

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Dustin,I just uploaded the style.css file (I cced it to a word doc). If you are available, would you take a look and highlight the parts for me that need to be changed. I will not be at the computer for a few hours, so when I get back and see a response, I'll try and let you know. Thanks a lot for your help!
Expert:  Dustin replied 16 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** going to be away for an hour or so, will have a look at the file when I return

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Dustin - any luck with that css style sheet? Let me know if you need anything else from me.
Expert:  Dustin replied 14 days ago.

My apologies, I got swamped the last two days and hadnt gotten to it yet. However, before I call it quits tonight I will identify the sections of the css sheet that need to be changed, highlight them for you inside the document, and send it back to you ensuring you know what to change and how going forward.

It will probably be late when I send you the file..

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Perfect, thank you!
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Dustin, I hope you are doing well and the load of requests is manageable. Any luck with my file?
Expert:  Dustin replied 13 days ago.

Yes.. I had to reteach myself some basic css, but Im ready..

When you can, do me a favor and take a screen shot of the areas on your page you want to increase the width, then open the screenshot iin MS paint.

And then , circle the areas specifically that you want to increase the width on.. Then, once i see that I can match it up to the proper settings in the css file, and then point you at the settings to change and how to read the file itself going down the road.

Or, if you dont want to take screenshots, we could work together on your computer screen and speak in live chat, so you could point something out, I could show you its location in the css file, and then we could make the change and immediately upload the file and test it on the site in real time.. Let me know how you want to proceed.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Dustin, I put a screenshot into a document (see the attachment) and highlighted, with red arrows, where I would like to make changes by removing/reducing margins. Let me know whether that works.Libor
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Dustin, how is it looking? Did the highlighted desired changes in the files I sent you make sense?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Dustin, did you have time to highlight the spots in the style sheet?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hey Dustin, just wanted to ask about the files. They already charged me for this service. If you do not have time, should I ask someone else or ask for refund? How does it work?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 days ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. If I cannot complete this by morning, I will opt out and you can either request a full refund or you can wait for another technician to pick this up.

Dustin S