ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

How do I tell MS Access, in a Macro, to scan records for a

Customer Question

Hello,How do I tell MS Access, in a Macro, to scan records for a certain value and take action on those values?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Steve replied 14 days ago.

Hi there, my name is***** you do that in a Query, not a Macro. What exactly are you trying to do?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am trying to tell access to set the same hyperlink for multiple records based on the value of a current form control.Once the initial hyperlink is set, I would like access to scan the table and set the same hyperlink in multiple records for the current temporary value chosen.The attachment is the macro I have created so far.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think I need to create an if statement
Expert:  Steve replied 14 days ago.

Do you not want to do it through a button on the form? If you end up doing a macro, you should make it an Update query where you pass the value as a parameter. I'll look at it and tell you exactly what to do if I can see the database. Click here to do a secure upload of the Access database to my dropbox. I'm the only person who will see it and I'll delete it when we're done. If I can look at it I can help you a little better. You need to message me here and let me know you've uploaded it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can't upload the database due to company owned information. Could u explain an update query and parameters please, that's sounds like what I need.
Expert:  Steve replied 14 days ago.

An update query is a query where you replace data, for example, replacing a field in every record with the same hyperlink. The parameter is the hyperlink you're replacing it with.

Expert:  Steve replied 14 days ago.

Sorry, if I can't see the database then I really can't help you. We'll just go back and forth for a while and you'll get frustrated, and so will I. So I'm going to opt out and you can see if someone else will help you. Thanks and have a good night.