ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

A fairly simple function is required that will obtain a file

Customer Question

A fairly simple function is required that will obtain a file name (using pickAFile), and then recognise if it is a picture or a sound file, or even some other file type. The file should then be interpreted as either a picture if its type is jpg (then print an appropriate message, then exit), or a sound if its type is wav (then print an appropriate message, then exit), and if it is neither a picture nor a sound file, then an error message must be printed. This error message should include the type of the file (or the lack of a type, e.g. a file name that might not have a period in it, e.g. ducksjpg).
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: How do I complete this?? I have to finish this by tomorrow but I suck at programming
JA: What programs and versions are you using?
Customer: JES
JA: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: This is basically suppose to be the outcome >>> openSoundOrPicture()
Oops! Did not choose a picture or a sound file.
Type is: html
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 16 days ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

In which programing language this codes needs to be written ?

Expert:  Steve replied 16 days ago.

Hey there, my name is***** you still need this done?

Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 13 days ago.

There's already a tool out there that will do this. It's called a Web browser.

Oh, by the '>>>' I presume you want a Python function. You might have specified that.

"Type is: html" is expecting WAY too much--unless that's just a boneheaded "check the suffix and report that as the 'file type' in absence of contradictory data." Of course, I could have a JPG file that is NAMED such-and-such dot cpp, for example. Did you want to DETECT FILE FORMATS or just recognize suffixes?