Robert, Consultant
Experience:  years of consulting experience with large and small nyc firms

System: Mac, Excel 2016. Question: What formula will allow

Customer Question

System: Mac, Excel 2016.
Question: What formula will allow me to
1. start with the value of a name on one workbook
2. search for that name in a different workbook's column
3. and if it finds that name, return a value of the name in the column just to the left (the team number)?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Kevin T replied 24 days ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 24 days ago.

This is not possible with a formula.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 24 days ago.

I think you mean a macro?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Can you write that macro for me?Let's say
1. I want to look for a value in a cell, say in cell D1 (which currently has the name "Smith" in it).
2. I want the macro to search for that value (the name Smith) in another workbooks column C.
3. If that name appears in column C, I want the macro, I want the macro to return the value of the cell just to the left of where it found the value (so just to the left of "Smith" would be Smith's team number "3", I want that 3 back where I placed the macro).So can you write that macro? If so, will the $48 already charged to my card cover that fee?
Expert:  Kevin T replied 24 days ago.

Can you fill out 2 spreadsheets, one with some basic info like you have said above and one with the finished result (obviously manually entering the info)

This is so I can fully understand what you are asking.

If this is homework of any sort the actual homework would be hand as well If possible

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Tnx KevinThe "Teams&Roles_V0..." file is where I'd like to run the macro (so that I'm ultimately left with either a team number or else some kind of error/value! message that there was a problem finding the name or there were duplicate last names).
The macro should search the "ENGR 101..." file's column referencing names but then select the team number value just beside the duplicate name and return that team number to the original cell where the macro ran from (assuming that macro's run like formulas from a cell).At this point, I'm okay with duplicate last names if it means a faster response. I can work those "errors" by hand.Very grateful if this works,
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
What do you think? Doable?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Opps, I just realized I did not manually enter the results.Let me redo if necessary.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Okay here's the revised Teams and role excel v02 with the green area being what i want the macro to produce.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Kevin,Can you give me some insight on if this is doable?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It's not homework.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Account # 96525483 and Order ID# ***** Please please let me know your whether this is even something you can answer and if so, under what kind of timeline?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Forwarded Message -----
From: A K <*****@******.***>
To: "*****@******.***" <*****@******.***>
Sent: Saturday, October 1, 2016 12:13 AM
Subject: Re:Requesting Supervisory Review [#AID-660-49718]: JustAnswer Chat SupportLeo,I've already responded to all the follow-up questions.I have also contacted customer care twice.I am requesting a supervisor look at my case.It is not fair that you do not give me reasonable expectations as to whether my case can even be solved after 3 hours of analysis.I am disappointed not WRT whether or not I like your solution but as to your expectation management.Please elevate my case not to "urgent" but to "supervisory review" as that it's now not a technical matter of "how" but "why don't your business procedures allow for a simple "we can/cannot" so that I can make a calculated decision on whether or not it is worth my wait.Appreciatively jason
Expert:  Kevin T replied 23 days ago.

I had to go I did wait on a reply. I am sorry. I will opt out for someone else to help you.

Expert:  Robert replied 23 days ago.

You CAN do it with a formula

It is called vlookup

I am not sure if it will work across different worksheets but you can copy the worksheet you need to an out of the way portion of the worksheet you are on and then use the vlookup

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Here again is my request, just like the previous, for my $ refund. The feedback came too slow and I worked the issue manually. Please refund my money & communicate your intentions.Jason"From: A K <*****@******.***>
Cc: "*****@******.***" <*****@******.***>
Sent: Saturday, October 1, 2016 10:59 PM
Subject: Re: [#AID-660-49718]: JustAnswer Chat SupportJustanswer Customer Service,Let me be explicit: Please refund all my money.I selected the most urgent option, after 12 hours this morning you still did not have any forecast as to whether you would be able to solve the request. I worked the issue manually and have no need for any macros you may have potentially come up with.In order to build trust with customers, you will need to become more transparent in helping us form our expectations.Questions (repeated from the last email):1. Will you refund my money?
2. When can I expect the next action towards refunding my money?Please reply all,
JasonFrom: Moderator Support <*****@******.***>
Sent: Saturday, October 1, 2016 12:52 AM
Subject: [#AID-660-49718]: JustAnswer Chat SupportHi Jason,Thank you for writing back.I apologize for any inconvenience. We will reach out to the Expert to notify them that you are still waiting for a response. You will receive notification by email after the Expert responds. If the Expert does not reply after a reasonable amount of time has elapsed, please let me know and I will assist you further.In the meantime, here is a link to your question page: you for your patience.Regards,Mary S.
Customer SupportJustAnswer is even faster and easier on our exclusive members-only iPhone app! Don’t miss out; download the JustAnswer app today on iTunes and start asking questions on the go.