Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer
Experience:  Sr. Systems and Network Engineer
75378780

I have a POS program using access and I need to send some

Customer Question

I have a POS program using access and I need to send some information to the pole displays, how can I write a subroutine in access to communicate with the pole displays?
Category: Programming
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
why none can help me with this question, I am sure that all POS uses a pole display
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

What is the model of the pole? We need to check the driver has an API - If it does, and is not somthing that is exclusivly used by the MAN0 we can get somthing no problem.

Regards

Kris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for responding. The model is LDX9000/PDX3000
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

What are you using for POS software? Dynamics CRM?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is some communication between the pole and my program because the first time I tested I got the "TEST' word display.
But I don't know how to write a command or subroutine in access vb to display what I need
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Access and VB
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

We could either get Access speaking to the pole directly or we could program your applciation to check access every 5 seconds.

I am thinking instead of making it harder for our selves, we could write an app (via access) that rights a value to a text file, in the background your app checks the file every 5 seconds and displays the message on your pole

Are you with me here?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    I don't understand when you said the app checks my file every 5 seconds and displays the message.
    We could do it in access. All what I need is that when: when a customer is paying for his order I can display the Tag# ***** the amount hi own and then the change he is getting back
    Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    The pole is using port com3 and the Settings=”9600,N,8,1”
    Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    A code in Access will be excellent
    Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Are you still there?
    Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Hello Kristopher, will you be able to help me with this issue today?
    Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    What happened? Did we lost communications? I had been waiting for over 50minutes for an answer I am not sure if you ever got my responds.
    Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

Hi

Are you there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Now I am
    Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    No I can't afford to accept the remote assistance but I still need help with my question please
    Expert:  Maxwell Kohler replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Maxwell. I would like to assist you to the best of my abilities. Have you made any progress since you have first posted this issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Not at all.

How are the pole displays connected?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    by USB

Ok. Depending on what you want to send to the pole... you may have to 'arrange' your 'pole requests'. Have you tried this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    I am not to familiar with this pole displays. When I first connected it I run the test and it works. What is happing now is that I don't know how to make the communication between my POS and the pole to display a tag# ***** total amount. I am using Access and I noticed that I need to use an ActiveX control for communication but it is telling me that I don't have license to use it
    so I am completely lost

Ok then lets give this a shot! I will do my very best to help you understand :)

For instance, some times you may want to use the second line of the pole in order for it to display. In order to do this you need to send a LINE FEED and a CARRIAGE RETURN.

-First Click on MODULES and select NEW.

once this is done let me know and we will move forward.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Ok I open a new MODULES:
    Option Compare Database

Ok. In the first screen (Declarations) paste the list of CONSTANTS

- At the bottom of the list type the below.

Sub PD_Reset() (then hit <enter>). The screen will look like this.

------------------------------------
    Sub PD_Reset()

End Sub

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    what is the list of CONSTANT? Do you mean this:
    Global Const constPD_VerticalScrollMode As Integer = 18
    Global Const constPD_NormalDisplayMode As Integer = 17
    Global Const constPD_BrightnessControl As Integer = 4
    Global Const constPD_BackSpace As Integer = 8
    Global Const constPD_HorizontalTab As Integer = 9
    Global Const constPD_LineFeed As Integer = 10
    Global Const constPD_CarriageReturn As Integer = 13
    Global Const constPD_DigitSelect As Integer = 16
    Global Const constPD_CursorON As Integer = 19
    Global Const constPD_CursorOFF As Integer = 20
    Global Const constPD_Reset As Integer = 31
    Global Const constPD_MessageScroll_Start As String = "&H05"
    Global Const PD_MessageScroll_Stop As String = "&H0D"

Yes exactly. Now at the bottom Sub PD_Reset() (then hit <enter>).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Done

do you now see this?

Sub PD_Reset()

End Sub

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    in the middle of those two line add: CommForm.commPD.Output = Chr(constPD_Reset)?

yes. now In between the Sub - End Sub type Sub PD_Reset()

this resets the port.

When you click the SAVE button, Access will ask you to NAME THE MODULE. You can give this any name. You will NEVER use the Module Name in code. You WILL, however, use the SUB\Function name.

You can build as many subs\functions in as many separate MODULES as you like. There is no heirarchy in these... they are all 'equal'. The advantage of using several MODULES (instead of placing all your sub\functions in a single module) is simply for organizational purposes.

When you need to send this command to the pole, simply call the sub

to do this type call PD_Reset

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    OK

just for clarification PD = Pole display

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Ok, I did all of that already. I got those instruction from internet Source: ***** *****
    But still pole doesn't display any info, I don't know how to send the information I need to see to the pole

I apologize. I was starting from the bottom because I didn't know you had already done all of this. OK the next steps to take are pretty simple. First thing i need you to do is verify that the correct Com Port is selected in device manager. Have you done this already?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Port3

so you looked in device manager and verified that LDX9000/PDX3000 has a port assignment of port com3?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Then you went to POS Preferences> Equipment, and set the LDX9000/PDX3000 to the same port?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    I did
    Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Sorry, were is the POS Preferences equipment?

Im sorry but you have taken all of the steps that i would have to fix the issue aside from me using remote assistance to see and fix the issue first hand. The previous professional already had you check the drivers too. I will opt out and allow another professional to assist you. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Ok thank you
    Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Hi Maxwell, do you know if my problems has to do with the ActiveX controls? My MSCOMM32 doesn't work and I have Windows 7 proffesional

Unfortunately, You cannot use the Microsoft Communications ActiveX Control to access a Universal Serial Bus port. You cannot use the MSComm control to provide serial communications that use a USB port. A USB port is not a serial port. A USB port is a bus. Therefore, by design, you cannot use the MSComm control to access a USB port.. which is how you DOT is connected. So in my professional opinion I don't see ActiveX being your issue. I hope that made sense.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Ok if I can not use Active X controls to communicate with the pole displays, can you help me to show the data I need in the pole displays?

You issue has been on my mind since we have talked last. I have been doing a lot of research and i cannot come to a conclusion which is very frustrating because I want nothing more than to resolve this for you. For the time being I will opt out to allow other experts to intervene if they have further insite on the matter. If I come to a resolution before you are provided one I will definitely contact you and get this fixed! :) I hope that you are provided exceptional service from another expert in the time being and I apologize that I haven't been able to get this figured out for you yet. Thank you so much for your patience as i know as well as most that these issues can be extremely frustrating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    It is very frustrating. I am sure that almost everybody that use POS in their business use a pole display. There should be a lot of expert that have the knowledge to work with a pole display but none take the time to answer me. I had been asking the same question since July 26 without any respond, so you can image my frustration. I am sure that is me the one that doesn't know how to put the code together to make it works, and that is the reason why I subscribed to this wed side for help.
    Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

we're testing to see if its working in and out bound, if i get your reply we can start looking into who you are emailing and perhaps conclude the problem is on their side.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Hello TimC:
    Are you referring to my question: How can I communicate with a pole displays using Access in windows 7?
    Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

I'm so sorry, i posted to the wrong question here, this is my fault, my comment had nothing to do with your question, i'm so sorry!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
    Ok