Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

When I logged in to my wordpress site today, the visual

Customer Question

when I logged in to my wordpress site today, the visual editor was gone. it is stuck in the html editor view only and there are no visual or html tabs.
i have tried deactivating all of my plugins as well as reinstalling the latest version of wordpress (4.5.3), and the problem persists. I have also changed the theme. Nothing works.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Would you like me to connect to your computer or site from here and work on the issue directly on screen? If so we can set this up via a secure remote assistance session. That session is guaranteed meaning if I cant help you then you will be entitled to a full refund of all fees.

Otherwise, I can try and assist you via written support alone. Let me know how you'd like to begin.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'd prefer if you could walk me through the steps if possible
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

All right, lets start with some basics.

who do you pay to host your wordpress site? Godaddy, bluehost, hostgator, etc?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
doteasy
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

H ave you tried restoring your worpress site to a day when it was working, using the auto backup or backup feature

https://kb.doteasy.com/questions/429/Restoring+your+site+using+the+Backup+Wizard

That would be a simple way to fix the visual editor..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i don't have any backup files
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

doteasy keeps autobackup files.. Did you try the auto backup feature from your domain hosting panel?

With that being said, go into your wp-content folder and rename the plugins folder to plugins.old

Then, try to access your site again.. Is the visual editor back?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i renamed the plugin folder to plugins.old
the visual editor did not reappeari don't know where the automatic backup files are...
when i select the backup wizard to restore, it wants to upload files from my computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

Ok, now.. lets try renaming the themes folder.. to themes.old

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no for themes.old
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

My apologies for the delay, we had a thunderstorm roll through and knock out power and internet.

Back online now. How about this.. Can you check your user settings and see if the visual editor is enabled / checked ?

http://imgur.com/aNXzw

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the visual editor is enabled.i reinstalled just about everything and re-customized my theme. i also uninstalled a few plugins and installed a rich text editor. that seems to have worked. i have the visual tab back.
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

In that case, the only suggestion I have left.. Is after you add a few plugins / themes / or bring your content folders back in..

test, and if all is well.. make a backup using the backup manager. Once you have everything in working order Id make a backup that you can fall back on later, if you hit the same issue again.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I never heard back from you after you viewed my answer. Did you still need help with this issue?

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.