ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML

I would like to extract unique value in Column based on the

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to extract unique value in Column B based on the value of Column A
Category: Programming
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Is ti just one value you are looking for in column B? Or exactly what are the rules for this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Richard - I have a list of stock trades for various clients
So Lets say Jason bought Microsoft 100, then Apple 100 and then again Microsoft 100 - I want then for Jason (Column A) only Apple and MSFT as a result. - I get the result based on an Index/Match formula but it does not take into account that I only wnant the result for Jason - If I have another client it also gives me those stocks
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, can you give me the file and Ill do it for you.

Attach it here please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok one sec - I change some names for confidentiality :)
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Please see attached the file - you only have to look at sheet called Trades and the sheet called MMdC. The problem is that in the third row it gives me the same result as in row 2 because I traded 2 of the same stocks. The info should be per Client! Because there will be more then 1 client and they will have similar stocks but not all have the same stocks.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok... so you mean row 3 should be blank?

As its shown in row 2?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, I tried to think through how you could do this with all the different criteria but could not see how.

I will opt out for a different expert that may see how this can best be done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok - thank you!
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 3 months ago.

i have your example sheet, but I am not exactly following what you want to do.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi - If you look in the sheet MMdC in Column B i want to have the unique codes from the sheet called Trades. The sheet trades will contain a list of trades for various Clients (now only one) and it will have various purchases/Sales for stocks. I would like to make an overview per Client per Stock. If you go to sheet prices you see only the unique shares, however in the sheet MMdC I want that only including per client. Can we chat per skype or so? it will be easier to explain

if you want to do a remote session to show me anything we can do that.

but is it my unsterstanding that for example YFP is one of the values in column B but you only want that to show 1 time instead of 2 times

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct - I only want to show the unique values. I have the formula in the sheet prices - only it is not combined with the investor. Basically I am looking for the result I would get when I do a pivot table without doing the pivot table.

the only way to do a pivot table like function is with a macro. Now you said that there will be selling purchases and multiple people, I would like to see an example of what that looks like, because any attempt to write a macro could change things if you have a different format