ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

I use an old custom-made DOS program to record data on books

Customer Question

I use an old custom-made DOS program to record data on books (title, author, inventory, ISBN, sales, etc. The data is entered into separate fields. I want to add some new fields to the record. This would require know-how of DOS programming a few decades back.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 5 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will you be able to work on this problem?
Bill *

Sorry Bill, I typed my message but it wasn't delivered. It got saved in drafts.

Yes, I will definitely work on it. Please provide me your existing code, I will modify it the way you want.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have uploaded the following to wikisend, with the wikisend file ids shown as the six digit numbers. (They will remain available 7 days):
469832 30 kb vistatil.bas (this application displays a title page of two records with fields that describe a given book)
580358 257 b title.hdg (headings of the above fields)
119270 7.2 mb title.dat (data that is displayed in the above fields)
I have a program by which I can extract data from the above records for use in Excel so want to ensure that program can still do so after modifying fields on the records for the title page. Perhaps that program will need to be tweaked to be able to display the new fields.
When you run the above files you will note in vistatil.bas there is a page of two 256 byte records that displays fields to insert data on a given book title. Fields on the first record are Title, Author, Description. At the start of the second record is a field that continues description of the book. The last part of this record carries fields whose data is accessed for reports by various other programs and thus these fields must remain in their present locations. The first part of the second record is therefore where space is available to place new field headings.
When browsing this page of two records the cursor, after moving through the fields on the first record, now lands at the start of the second record. If the programming is substantially simpler, new headings could begin at the start of the second record and follow in sequence as the cursor scrolls from one field to the next until it begins scrolling though the existing fields. But if not a lot simpler to have the new fields start at the beginning of the second record, then I'd like to preserve what I can of the space at the beginning of the second record for the continuation of the book description and have the new fields be inserted in front of the existing ones that are toward the end of the second record.
New fields would include the headings
YR: (needs 2 spaces to insert year data),
OP: (needs 4 digits to insert month and year),
COND: (needs 1 space to insert single letter to describe condition, such as new, used, scuffed, rare), AGE: (needs 5 spaces to insert age group, such as kind, el-hi, 10-15, adult).
NEW1 (a field for future use, as I can change name. say 2 digits)
NEW2 ( a field for future use, as I can change name, say 10 digits)
The order of these fields is not important.
You may find it convenient to have the names, locations, and lengths of the existing fields on the two records Here they are (from some very old notes so maybe a little off toward the end):
1st record
Title 1/2-191
Author 192/193-238
Desc 239/240-223
Desc 224/225-255
2nd record
Desc 1/1-132
Supplier 133/134-137
Supplier #: 138/139-142
Bin # (now called Grp#): 143/144-146
Price 147/148-154
Discount 155/156-157
ISBN# *****
Type 174/175
Supplier Discount 176/177-199
Categories 200/201-206
W/R 207/208
Restriction 209/210
Inventory 211/212-216
Minstock 217/218-222
Maxstock 223/224-231?
YTD Sales 232/233-237
PRY Sales 238/239-243
ERY Sales 244/245-249?
Title # 250/251-255
Thanks,
Bill *
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 4 months ago.

Please give me some time. I will have to install basic before coding this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not rushed for this. That is fine.
Thanks,
Bill *

Thank you so much ..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been away a few days so am checking in to find if I have missed anything. Is there anything needed from me now to do the work?
Bill Jones

Thanks for follow up. I tried few things but unable to do it. I am asking other experts to look into it and resolve it for you.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dustin--
I see your name but no message?
Bill *
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now I see this message, which does not relate to my question:Dustin has responded to your question:
"Ok, I need you to be specific.. When you see the error message that the printer is in an error state. Where do you see that message, on the printer