ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

I need to have my OObase query calculation "total" to show

Customer Question

I need to have my OObase query calculation "total" to show currency and print in a mail merge document
Category: Programming
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 10 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer

Please share your query and database details with me. I will help you out in it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am working an open office/libre office database. My problem is I must print a receipt from my table or a query into a writer frame. These are my problems on the way: I have a form that shows my calculated currency category but does not update as I enter new information. I need that to happen. I have to leave the form and enter again to have it update. I have a query that shows "total" but does not show in currency category. I can right click and insert currency category but when I go out of the query I lose the currency category each time. I must get the currency column and "total" into my table or query to print on a writer document in currency category in a Frame and align to the right so the $ amounts line up and calculate the "total" in currency category.

Is there is anyway through with I can see your code and try it out by myself. Can you share your code

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your response. I don't know what you mean by my code. Do you mean to remotely connect to you? I don't want to be charged unless I get my problem solved but if I get this solved I will be happy to pay.
I have 2 files on Libre Office. One is in Database which has "Table", "Form", and "Query". The other is a "Receipt" in Writer Mail Merge to print the information from "Table", "Form", and "Query".
Procedure:
Information is entered into my "Form" which sends information to "table" and "Query". When I add information to "Form" I need the "Form" to immediately update the Total. Now I have to go out of "Form" and back into it to get it to update.
I think if I could get the "Form" to send the category currency Total field to "Table" it would print in "Receipt".
My "Form" does send Total field to "Query" but not in category currency. I can print to "Receipt" from "Query" but must have Frame column in Writer Mail Merge "Receipt" Total field print in category currency and lined to the right so the numerals line up.

Okay, I understood your problem :-

" I need the "Form" to immediately update the Total" :- To do this you need use database trigger. You can set trigger when a new information is added to form. Through this you will be able to fulfill your goal.

"My "Form" does send Total field to "Query" but not in category currency" :- I think this is how every database behaves. Form is sending proper total values to query and it is now responsibility of writer mail merge to display that Total value with proper currency format to make it readable and understandable. Please correct me if I interpreted it wrong.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am new to this. Don't know what you mean by Database trigger. Where is it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I know how to use Database trigger that should correct my Form problem. Then to complete my Database problem I need the Frame correction in the dollar numerals column lined to the right in my "Receipt" Writer Mail Merge document so they will line up properly. When I can do that that should complete my Database problem.

Alright !!. Please give me your update query.

Triggers looks like this :-

CREATE TRIGGER trigCustomerName

AFTER INSERT ON "Customers"

REFERENCING NEW ROW AS newrow

FOR EACH ROW BEGIN ATOMIC

UPDATE "Customers" SET "CompanyName" = COALESCE(newrow."FirstName",'') || COALESCE(newrow."LastName",''); END

Note that you cannot use TRIGGERS with HSQLDB v1.8 (the default database 'engine' used by Base). You will have to 'split' your database and upgrade to HSQLDB v.2.3.x in order to use TRIGGERS - see tutorial HERE :- https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=61183

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please connect to me remotely and troubleshoot for me. I am so new at this I guess this is the only way to solve my problem. Please let me know when you are available.

I have never used libre office . Not sure if I will be able to set this up for you. I can help you out in sql queries and other stuff . I have worked on other tools like Oracle,My SQL etc. but don't know much about it. Do you want me to give it a try ?

Or else I can leave this question for other expert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would be happy for you to give it a try, but do I have to pay if I don't get my problem solved?

No you do not need to pay if the problem remains unresolved. I am opting out to see if anyone else can work on it ,If nobody picks it up, I will do it.

Hoping for best !

Thanks,

Bhavik

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Bhavik, I am sorry to be so difficult about paying but I have been taken a few times on the internet and now am very skeptical. You have been great and I do appreciate the way you have worked with me.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, my name is***** you attach the Libre Office files to this conversation using the paperclip icon? Then I can look at what you have and tell you what to do to get it to behave the way you want. You might need to "zip" the files before you post them on here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Steve, Thank you for responding. I would be happy to attach the Libre Office files to this conversation using the paperclip Icon but I do not see a paperclip Icon on this screen where I can attach them.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. On the toolbar where you type responses to me, the very last icon should be a paperclip. Click that and you should be able to attach a file to our conversation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know you must think I am dumb but there is no toolbar on my screen anywhere. I want to thank you for your willingness to help but last evening I got information from Apache OpenOffice and it solved my problem even though I am using Libre Office. Again Thanks sooooooooooo much!
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

you're welcome and I'm glad it worked out for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Windows XP, LibreOffice 5.1, Writer and Database
My Database consists of a Table, Query, Form, and Writer DocumentsMy Database consists of Individual records of information which is entered on Forms. The Form transfers this information to the Table. The Form has Date and Calculation columns. The calculation column must be Calculated as information is entered and show a Total in Currency Category. The Query is used to do the calculation and send the Total to the Form, Table, and Query. Writer Documents have inserted information printed from the Table or Query.
Question: How can I get my Database Form to calculate the Total in Currency Category when entered, and send the Total to Table and Query in Currency Category to print in Writer Mail Merge Documents.
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. Do you have another question? Is something not working for you correctly? I think the way we left off last time is that you had figured out your problem on your own?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Question: How can I get my Database Form to calculate the Total in Currency Category when entered, and send the Total to Table and Query in Currency Category to print in Writer Mail Merge Documents. We may need to connect remotely so when could you do that?
Expert:  Steve replied 9 months ago.

My schedule is pretty open, let me know what works for you. Can you please upload a copy of the database for me to look at in advance? That will make things much easier. You can upload the database to my Dropbox so it's confidential and nobody else will see it. Use the link below and let me know when it's there:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/EXOaZfnpy9jZ3UpSOXt5