Rath, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

Ipad air with no facebook app at all . User dose not use

Customer Question

Ipad air with no facebook app at all .
User dose not use facebook.
I go to safari advanced website data and occassionally it shows facebook data used approx 12.6 KB.
Is there any other reason this can happen other than facebook has been used via safari.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Rath replied 4 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Safari's Website Data keeps track of each and every single item, including buttons, cookies, etc., that's present on the websites that you visit. For example, if you visit a webpage that has a Facebook share/like button on it, Safari will store data for that specific button as well. Judging from the tiny amount of data shown for Facebook, this is the reason for it showing up - if the user were to actually open up and log in to Facebook, it will use much more data than what's being shown on your device.

I hope this clarifies things for you. If you need any further assistance with this issue, please be sure to reply back using the box below.
And, if you could kindly click on (and submit) one of the star buttons at the top of this page to rate my service, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just logged into facebook via safari and kept it open for nearly 15mins. Under the advanced data it is recorded as using 12.8KB.
15 mins on facebook seems to be what I would usually use to look at newsfeeds ect. as you said it would use much more data but only if on facebook for a longer time So the shared-liked idea while just surfing the net may not be the case? Is it possible that facebook is being used via safari.
Expert:  Rath replied 4 months ago.

(Please IGNORE and 'X' out any remote offer if it shows up on your screen now; it's sent by the site and not me. I'll reply back to you below now.)

Expert:  Rath replied 4 months ago.

Hmm, I see. I just tested using my iPad and it used up ~100KB of data just to log in to Facebook, so it looks like the data used might have something to do with the individual device's network connection as well. If you are making sure to clear out the website data each time you use Facebook, and if it still shows up there anytime after that - it definitely has something to do with either the Facebook share/like links on a webpage or a third-party website that has some connection with Facebook, e.g. if you use Facebook to log in to any other site like Instagram. Something else I can think of is, Facebook regularly serves tracking cookies across the web to track users' behavior and provide them with relevant ads based on this activity, so this might be using the minimal data you are seeing, as well.

It's practically impossible for anyone to remotely use Safari on your iPad to access specific websites, if you are not accessing them yourself. Please accept my apologies if you are still not clear about this, and if so, do let me know and I'll open up your question to other experts who can hopefully shed further light on this if needed. Thanks!