Justin Williams
Justin Williams,
Experience:  Freelance IT Consultant at Westlake Computers LLC
93707858

The feature image on my front page in Wordpress does not

Customer Question

The feature image on my front page in Wordpress does not show up.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** you create a temporary Admin user and give me the username and password ***** I can log into WordPress and look at what's going on? Then you can delete the user when we're done.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Steve, the website link is: http://grantdaleconsulting.com.au/wp-admin/
Temp UN: ArtyMarty Temp PWD: [email protected]$v^^
Let me know how that goes.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

OK great, I'll have a look.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

What is it supposed to look like?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a page called "Home copy". It is how I want the home page to look.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

OK, hold on.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

You just took the image out of Home Copy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The feature image is still there, and that is the only image I want at the top of the page.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

It's not in Home Copy anymore. It was there, but it's not there now. But you have both pages locked, so I can't even view them currently.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I unlock them?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

You keep changing the pages and the settings. Can you not make any more changes to the Home Page and Home Page Copy, don't have either of them open in WordPress and tell me which page is the correct one?

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, if it did, I didn't intend for that to come across harshly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, Home copy was called Front. I changed it to Home copy and wordpress then made this the default Home page so I changed it back to Front. Right now Home copy should be how I want the Home page to display.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

OK. When I first looked at Home Copy, the image was displaying. Do you know what's different now that it's not? Did you change anything?

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

How's that?

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

I looked at the code for the front page template and it doesn't include any provision for a featured image. So I just added the image to the page itself. It doesn't look like any of the templates are going to do anything automatically with a featured image?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you click on Pages to see all the pages you should see the words "Front Page" next to Home copy. This seems to be the page that Wordpress makes the home page. Whichever page is the Front Page always has the feature image missing.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

Does it look right now?

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

When I said "How's that?", what I meant was please look at the site, I think I've fixed the page for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried putting the image into that section before but then there is spacing above it, which the other pages don't have.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

OK, hold on, I'm still looking at it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can get rid of that spacing in the CSS, however I think the client would like it if they could simply swap the feature image without any dramas (if possible).
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

OK, I think there's a bug in the theme.

Let me track it down a little more

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Steve, I got a partial email of your answer and when I clicked on it I came to this screen but your answer does not appear here?
"If you look at content-page.php, it's using the full width image. …"
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Steve, I am not sure how to rate your service. I don't feel that my question was answered as the feature image on the home page still doesn't work, though I appreciate what you have done. I did mention that I had added the image into the page content prior to asking my question on this site. I came here because I wanted the feature image to work. I am fairly new to wordpress and thought that someone would have a really simple answer. I would like to pay you for your service, and happily rate it well, but my question still remains unanswered. Hence my delay.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Steve, I contacted support and they suggested that I ask the Expert to opt out of the question and open it to other Experts. I am happy to leave you a tip, but I was really hoping someone would have an answer to my original question.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. I'm not sure what happened, because this question disappeared from my list of questions. I thought you asked for your money back or something, because it wasn't on my list of questions to respond to anymore. So I really apologize because I certainly would have gotten back to you because I spent some time researching the issue.

Let me go back to my notes and I'll get you an answer today, and I'm very sorry for the confusion. I'll try to find out what happened.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

I went back to my notes. I had a solution for you, but you disappeared from my list. So here's what I found out:

1) Your theme uses a different template for the Home page than it does for all other pages.

2) The templates are not consistent in the formatting, that's why you're having a problem.

3) I attached a screen shot that highlights what the differences are for the portion of the templates that are causing you the problem. The one on the left is the Home page and the one on the right is the About page.

4) The easiest thing to do would be to edit the Home page template to make it consistent with the other pages. Or you could leave it the way you have it, and know that it will only be a problem with the Home page, never with any of the other pages.

5) Perhaps you could send a note to the author of the theme, explain the problem you're having and ask them to fix it in their next update?

So that's where it stands. I'm really sorry for the confusion. I had done all the research and had an answer but you weren't there anymore.

Please let me know if I can provide you with more information or if you have questions about what I've outlined above.

Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

Here's another screen print trimmed down a little to show you only the few lines that are causing the problem.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Steve, sorry for the delay, I had yesterday off. Option 4 above looks appealing, just not sure what file needs to be changed with this theme, or what code needs to be inserted.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

I believe what you need to do is to replace the contents of "page.php" with the contents of "page-templates/front-page.php". I don't want to do it because I don't want to mess anything up that you can't fix. So what you should try is to first back everything up, then make a copy of page.php, then replace it with page-templates/front-page.php; and try the "Steve" page I created as the Home page.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry Steve, didn't seem to work?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

Sorry, without going spending a lot of time going through the code for the theme, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Believe it or not, it works this way by design. Even though you chose a custom template when you created the Home page, WordPress ignores the custom template and uses what's either in home.php or index.php to create the Home page. That's why you're not seeing the image, because whatever the theme is using for the home page doesn't include a featured image. I didn't see a home.php file in the theme, and I looked at the index.php, which I thought was using page.php for the Home page. So I know exactly why it's happening, but I'm not familiar with the theme and don't want to mess up your configuration.

If it's an option, the best thing would be to contact the author of the theme, and explain the problem you're having which is this:

You want the Home page to use a custom template (page-templates/front-page.php).

Sorry I couldn't help you more, but I will opt out and see if there's anyone else who has a better solution for you.

Expert:  Cory replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I am Cory.

Did this get fixed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Cory, no this did not get fixed. I tried what Steve said to do above, twice, with no luck! I did not realise this would be so complex. I am also not so sure I want to go through the same process again, only to discover you can't fix the problem. Please read through the thread and see if this is something you are confident you can manage.
Expert:  Cory replied 5 months ago.

Do you have one page showing up but you want another?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The feature image on the front page does not work. All other pages use the front page as their template and they work fine. It is just the front page that doesn't allow the feature image to show up. I have been able to place the image into the page content, but I would rather use the feature image if possible (partially for ease of use for the client).
Expert:  Cory replied 5 months ago.

I would like to look at it remotely. I do not want you putting your Wordpress information online. Secure remote connection is a premium service so it will be an extra $29. Will that be ok?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Cory, I have already given Wordpress information in this thread (17 May) to allow login to the website. Risky I know! It was intended to be temporary, thinking this problem is easily solved. I am not interested in paying more money, sorry.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Cory, would this still be something you are interested in tackling?
Expert:  Cory replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to take up your time, but I am going to opt out and let another expert look at it.

Thanks,

Cory

Expert:  Justin Williams replied 5 months ago.

Hello there. I have quite a bit of experience w/ Wordpress and would like to take a look at this for you. I see you provided the login information previously in the thread. Give me a about 30 mins or so to take a look at it.

Do you still have a page setup that has a working feature image? Like the Home Copy you referred to earlier?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Justin, every page but the home/front page has a working feature image as far as I am aware.

Thanks. I am looking at this today, should have it fixed for you in the next few hours.

Hello, I was changing some code and it didn't save properly. I need FTP access to fix it? Do you think you could provide me with the username and password ***** FTP access?

Basically the theme has code in it that says "Don't display the featured image on the designated home page for the site (the home page set in Wordpress Settings>Reading>Static Front Page)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What exactly did you do?

Added 1 line of code into the child theme function.php, it just needs to be removed manually.

Here is the code:

<?php the_post_thumbnail(); ?>

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think I can get the FTP details until tomorrow morning Australian Eastern Standard time (9 hours from now). When will you next be online?

I will be around at that time. Just let me know. Often times the website hosting account will let you manage files as well if you have access to that.

Apologize for the snafu, but if you have faith in me I can get this resolved for you.