Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in software development. Expert in Microsoft .Net, C#, C++, VB, SQL

I have an excel spreadsheet that has columns of client project

Customer Question

I have an excel spreadsheet that has columns of client project orders. The value column is a number, but I would like this to be a currency value based on the cell next to it which confirms that currency of the order.
I am looking for the auto format to convert to the correct currency.
Many Thanks
Category: Programming
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 5 months ago.
are you saying that you have different currency types throughout the column? For example 1 row might be $, the next row might be E. and so on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HI There, yes, this is correct. Each row will have a value for the order in one column. The currency of this value is in the next column. The two columns with columns in the attached are f and G, column H confirms the currency.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 5 months ago.
HimI'm reviewing your question. Will there be other currencies than those currently appearing in H?
Expert:  Ingo U replied 5 months ago.
Well, it'll be easy enough to add - please have a look: use conditional formatting rules to accomplish what I believe you're looking for.Please let me know if you need anything else!Regards,-Ingo U
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ingo,Thanks for this, works perfectly. When I add new currencies, how do I get these to format? I cut and paste a new rule, changed the currency, but now sure how to get the currency mark to show up?ThanksRob
Expert:  Ingo U replied 5 months ago.
What version of Excel do you have? I'm still on 2007, where I don't see an easy way t "cut and past a new rule", perhaps that's changed. Either way, for a new currency you'll have to create a new rule similar to the ones I made - of the kind that "uses a formula to determine which cells to format". The formula you need will look like:=H$1="British Pound"(string in quotes would have to match what you put in H column)THen in the "format" part of the rule, you select the "number' format category, choose "currency" and select the currency symbol/country that you want to use.Finally, choose the "Applies To" range for the new rule, probably =$F:$G like the others.But let me know if you're using a different version of Excel, I can try to locate one and see if they changed the procedure/options for managing rules.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
HI IngoThanks for the note. I am using Excel 2011 for mac. I have attached a screen shot that shows how the rule is appearing in manage rules. The format is showing "No Format" and when I go to edit the rule I am then given options around font and colours, nothing about type. Screen shot attached. The rules you supplied are working, but I am not sure how:)Many ThanksRob
Expert:  Ingo U replied 5 months ago.
OK, I tried it in Office 2013 at my weekday office, and created the following "guided tour" for you to show my steps.Unfortunately I don't know how different the Mac user interface is, but hopefully it follows the same general flow. that helps!-Ingo
Expert:  Ingo U replied 5 months ago.
Hi,just following up, were you able to use my solution? Please feel free to post any additional questions, comments or concerns you may have regarding this issue.If you're not yet satisfied with the result, please let me know what is missing. I will do my best to make it right for you.Otherwise, please don't forget to rate my service - I don't get paid for my work until your rating is received.Regards,Ingo U