Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.

I want to remove special characters from a column in

Customer Question

I want to remove special characters from a column in a SQL Server select statement without using a separate replace for each character. Any advise would be truly appreciated
Category: Programming
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
If you don't want to do nested REPLACE statements as in your example, you need to create a function to do this. It's usually easier to specify the characters you don't want to replace, rather than trying to enumerate all the possible special characters you want to get rid of. For example: CREATE FUNCTION [mydb].[eliminate](@String VarChar(500))Returns VarChar(500)ASBEGIN DECLARE @KeepThese AS VarChar(100) SET @KeepThese = '%[^abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]%' WHILE PATINDEX(@KeepThese, @String) > 0 SET @String = Stuff(@String, PATINDEX(@KeepThese, @String), 1, '') RETURN @StringEnd;And then, something similar to:SELECT mydb.eliminate(mydb.field) AS fieldname FROM mydb; If this answers your question, please accept the answer and rate me accordingly. If it doesn't, please chat me back and I'll find the right answer for you. Thanks!
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. I was just following up with you to see if the function worked to strip out the characters? If it did, can you please accept my answer and rate me accordingly? I don't get paid anything for writing this code for you unless you accept the answer. Thanks!