ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

I wanted to upgrade a project created in visual studio 2005

Customer Question

I wanted to upgrade a project created in visual studio 2005 Visual Basic to visual studio 2010 visual basic
Category: Programming
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I use the visual studio 2010 auto wizard to convert it to visual studio 2010 Visual Basic with no problem?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, my name is ***** ***** upgrade the project, make sure you have a full backup copy of it.While you can certainly upgrade a project created in Visual Studio 2005 to Visual Studio 2010, there's no guarantee that it will be without any problems. The most common problems are:1. Incorrect file paths. Your project file might have hard-coded refcerences to certain paths that Visual Studio uses to run the project, and these paths might have changed. If the conversion wizard doesn't have all the changes, you might have to fix some of them manually.2. Deprecated .NET References. When you upgrade to a later version of Visual Studio, you're also upgrading to a later version of the .NET framework. There might be references you have in your old program that are no longer valid in the current .NET framework. You can turn back the .NET framework used by modifying the Target Framework value in the project properties to the earlier version if you have trouble.There could be other issues that you have to research and resolve, but they all should be resolvable. The only way to know is to try -- but make sure you have a backup before you perform the upgrade!If this answers your question, can you please accept the answer and rate me accordingly? I don't get paid anything for helping you if you don't accept the answer. If this doesn't resolve the question, please chat me back and I'll get you the answers you need. Have a great day!