Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Experience:  Programmer & Coder

How do I index last name, first name?

Customer Question

How do I index last name, first name?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The exact method depends upon what programming system you are using. But in general terms, when you want this set of names (last, then first names) to be sorted from *****, *****Abel, LarryGaramand, Beth*****, *****a into this order: Abel, LarryGaramand, Beth*****, *****a*****, ***** then you index and sort primarily on the last name, and then on the first name. But the indexing on the first name cannot be a primary indexing, nor a second primary indexing, it has to be a secondary index... I hope this is comprehensible. If you wish to more specific instructions, let me know what programming system you eitherA. need the instructions in, orB. want the illustration of the principle to be written in. Thanks. (If this already answers your question adequately, please rate my answer.)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I use Word Perfect 8 and this book has hundreds of pages
Where are the last names and first names located? one to a line, or otherwise?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The names are ***** ***** the text of the book. Do I highlight the last name and do something before I index the first name?
At this point I regret to say that I'm not sure what you should do, if the names are ***** ***** text. Word Perfect 8 is not a package I have a great deal of experience with, unfortunately.The Sort function was what I was thinking you should use... but allow me to ask first, how you want the result to be? do you want to extract the names to another document or another place in it? or just produce a 'search-and-find' index to the names?Allow me to also ask, are the names like this:Black, Jamesor are the names in the text like this:James Black.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The names are ***** *****: James Black or Sue Brown. I want the person in the text indexed in the back of the book
So you want to build an index in the back of the book, understood. Creating an index is like creating a table of contents, simple enough. In summary (and I hope this works in your version of Word Perfect): Select the text to be indexed, and then click one of the buttons in the Reference Tools dialog box to mark the text for the index. Indexes have two levels, so you can mark an entry as a heading or as a subheading (underneath a heading). Every instance of an index entry has to be marked. Otherwise, the list of page numbers next to the entry won't be complete. After you mark the first occurrence, use the Find and Replace feature to locate the other occurrences in the document, and then move on to the next index entry. Choose Tools > Reference > Index to display the Index tab of the Reference Tools dialog box.Select the text for the entry, then click in the Heading text box to mark this entry as a heading or click in the Subheading text box to mark this entry as a subheading – WordPerfect inserts the selected text in the text box. If you are marking this entry as a subheading, type the heading that you want it to fall under in the Heading text box, then click Mark. It's possible that you will get the right sort order (last name first, then first name), if you mark the last names as Heading and the first names as Subheading. I'm sorry I'm not quite sure of this, but it seems right to me. Let me know how it goes. (And, whether it works.) Thanks.