Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Indexing is not working, error says indexing folder not av

Customer Question

Indexing is not working, error says indexing folder not available
Category: Programming
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Have you already installed service pack 1 for windows 7 ? If not, run windows update.. install any available updates.. Repeat until window update cant find any more updates. Then, download and install service pack one.. You can download it from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842 Once installed, then lets try to fix the indexing issue. ( if service pack 1 doesnt fix it ) if you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know! I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have Service Pack 1 installed
Indexing is not running, when I try to start this service, it says the data path is not available. I've tried changing the path to a data folder on a separate internal drive (F:) but it still won't start. The default windows path does not work. This happened after updating my C: system HD with a SSD. Everything else is working fine, just can't get indexing to work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Is this a desktop or laptop computer? Do you only have the one SSD drive, or do you have a second HDD or SDD installed in this system too?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Desktop, SSD is main C: drive, two additional HDD; D: & F: F: is used for Data, D: is a backup/spare
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Understood. Just to clarify, do you have all your drives properties set to allow indexing? Also, could you post the full and complete exact error message its giving you in regards to indexing.. Thank you, *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sure:When I go to Indexing Options in Control Panel, it shows no Included locations and that Indexing is not running.
When I choose Advanced, there is no current location shown and the option to select a new location is greyed out (not allowed)
When I choose Troubleshoot I check the first two boxes that appear, and hit next
Indexing tries to start, then I get a message saying "Windows Search Service not running" Not Fixed
When I go to Services in Task Manger and try to Start Windows Search, the message says: "Windows could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.I've tried to change the path from the default c:\ProgramData\Index\Search\Data in the registry but it does not seem to take
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes drives are set to allow indexing.
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Can you go into the registry and try renaming this key, or exporting it and then deleting this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs\{A010C594-BAB6-4690-952C-28A0C0365307} value=ScopeToMonitor Then, go into services msc and make sure that windows search service is set to automatic startup type. T hen restart your computer.. Does that let the windows search /index service start running?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Once I reboot, how do I get back to this chat? (If not saved)
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
If you added your email address to your justanswer account.. You could open your email, open one of the messages from justanswer that say you have received a reply or an answer. And then inside that message click the box where it says " reply on justanswer" or something similar. Or, you could just come back to this page http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/9nv4l-indexing-not-working-error-says-indexing-folder-not-av.html
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rebooted, still the same...I did not see the folder you described above
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One message from troubleshooting I tried indicated the permission is not correct in the data folder, I can't seem to change the permission or security settings, "access denied"
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Added a file, "Capture.jpg" of the Windows Search folders in registry...
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
It may be beneficial if I connect to your computer via a screen sharing session, so that I can try to repair this issue in person, on screen. Im sending that offer to you, once accepted or rejected we can continue. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I realize that may be easier, but I really don't want to pay more than the $40 I already paid. Indexing would be helpful, as it speeds up certain services and allows me to search within Outlook, but I'm not ready to spend any more at this time. I was hoping you might be able to walk me through a solution...
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Understood. The screenshot you sent me, Is that from the HKEY local machine folder? if so, lets backup the two keys showing, data director and default data directory. Then delete those two keys.. Then, restart the computer and check the exact same location, whats the value showing for those two keys now? And can you enable the windows search service?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will try that...BRB
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
All right~ Ill be here and good luck~
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rebooted but those two keys are still missing...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When trying to start the service I get "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified"
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Ok, lets recreate the keys.. Just make sure you are in the same folder and right click on the right side and click new key. Set the names exactly as they should be. For the values, set them as %program data%\Microsoft\Search\Data Once both are created, closed the registry, reopen it.. And see if the keys are still there, with those values.. D.S
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Closed and opened, still there - BTW it is new "string value" and "expanded string value"
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
New key inputs a new key folder...
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
data director is new string. the second, deafult data directory is expanded~
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes, got it - next?
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
If we restart.. Can we start the windows search service, or is it already started now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not started, tried, same message: Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Ok. If you open your my computer window, or use the run box.. Can you locate this file path inside your computer ( not the registry ) %program data%\Microsoft\Search\Data Does the data folder exist inside the search folder as listed above?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it is there, I have actually deleted it (using some other help on the internet) and it was rebuilt. Some kind of permission thing? Security?
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Let me ask you this. How did you install windows 7.. Did you use an install cd? Do you still have the install cd? ( I do not want to clean install windows 7, but I do have an idea that should fix this issue ) D.S
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Windows 7 was pre-installed but I have the install disk (Dell version)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Re-installation DVD
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Question.. Does it call it self a windows 7 installation dvd.. Or does it say something similar to Dell recovery Or Dell install media?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also have, "Drivers and Utilities"
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
That may do it.. lets try the following.. And if these steps dont match exactly, stop. We want a repair install, not a reinstall or clean install.. A repair install wont erase any of your files, data or programs. This link will help guide you through it http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK will try that and get back to you, it may be tomorrow...
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Understood.. This isnt an issue beyond my capabilities.. Its just one of those issues that can sometimes be difficult to solve, but it is solvable. Youre welcome to get back to me if you need help with the repair install, or if we need to take further steps after~ I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dustin, an update: Windows was reinstalled, and of course it is doing many updates which are still not finished. I also lost many applications due to the update including Outlook, so I am sending this from another computer. I'll try to get everything back the way it was and follow up with you. At this point, I may just leave it as is, assuming I can recover other programs - very frustrating.Tom
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
When the machine starts to get back to normal. Can you check your C:\ drive, and see if there is a windows.old folder?
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, this is Dustin from Justanswer.com I havent heard back from you in a few days.. Did you still need help with this issue? Were you able to locate the windows.old folder? Thank you for your response. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dustin: I am out of town on business until about May 5. I have been spending most of my time recovering programs and such that the Windows re-install messed up, I still have some issues to clean up. Indexing, however, is STILL not working, so all of that was for naught. I'd still like to have this fixed. It appears the folder where the index is to be built does not have the proper permissions. I assume this may be due to moving Windows from a HDD to a SSD a while ago, and the permissions did not transfer properly. I either need to fix the permissions or point to another location, and update the registry accordingly. I will contact you when I return, sometime after May 5th.
Expert:  Dustin replied 7 months ago.
Understood. I myself, wont be available from may 2nd to 4th.. But will be available on the 5th. I will watch for your replies then. Dustin S.