ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML

Ingo! Get ready laughs... the majority of the

Customer Question

Ingo! Get ready for some laughs... the majority of the people will be using Office 2010.Basically I would like to come up with a tracker / report for tracking pallets by job. I created a unique Tracking_ID and a few columns to give you an idea but the formatting is not set in stone. I did this rather quickly and wouldn’t mind if it was drastically different. The column headers and names can be changed too… very open to suggestion.I know I could use pivot tables and formulas to populate a report (Sumifs, vlookups, etc.) but it has to be more simple than that because I’m not the one using it. Although, the formulas that do exist/remain can be locked. I left a lookup in a hidden sheet for Julian dates because it was a little different than the calendar.So, my thoughts are to:1) Create a UserForm for the field entries to populate a running tally on a sheet they preferably didn’t use but could reference2) Separate UserForm for updates to the same line-item data to update quantities. Bags/Pallets are supposed to be first in first out so it gets a little hard to track.
a. Be able to add whether they used some bags/pallets for another Tracking_ID not originally ordered against
i. there might also be times where some bags will expire and should be used on another job so some kind of pop-up reminder based on manufactured date + 120 days with a warning that says “Expires in 60 days” (even if it’s just a formatting change).
ii. if they are used on another job, show in/out to other job number
iii. Sometimes not all bags are used and are brought back to inventory so the UserForm should allow them to be added back
iv. I’d like to be able to keep line item history and not replace existing line items3) Lastly, a summary that shows:
a. How many bags were used by each Tracking_ID and how many remain
b. Days until expiration of bags
i. Warning at +120 days
ii. Bags expire 182 days (6 months) from manufacture dateI left some general notes in the Data Entry sheet; the examples I used to populate are exact counts of digits that will be used in each field. I wasn't sure where to go with this so it looks unfished because I wasn't sure what the best route would be. Its an open canvas. Shoot me any questions you think of and thanks a lot!
Category: Programming
Expert:  Ingo U replied 6 months ago.
Eric,thanks for coming back! I'll have to look into this tomorrow, hopefully. I got the files; at first glance this looks like it could get pretty involved. But sometimes first impressions will do that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tomorrow is great if you can get to it. I know how busy things get. It sounds like more than it is too. Maybe once you look through it you'll have a simpler solution. Have a great evening, Ingo
Expert:  Ingo U replied 6 months ago.
Started looking at it, but nothing to show for it yet.I think I can get the user form for data entry worked out... and BTW I looked at the Batch Date sheet and unless I'm missing something, its only purpose is to get a calendar date from the 4 digits in the batch number...I think you can simplify that with this formula:=DATE(VALUE(MID(E2,3,1))+2010,1,1) +VALUE(MID(E2,4,3))-1(for batch number in E2, display column in whatever date format you wantGive it a try!
Expert:  Ingo U replied 6 months ago.
Just pointed that out to simplify matters, if the results are correct
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The formula worked, it gave me trouble when I did it earlier (which is why I created the batch sheet). You are the man!Also, I was able to update the sheet quite a bit. Here is the new file. Might help streamline some of what you are doing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Btw, the sheets are protected by are not password *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for working in the user form for data entry. I think I kissed that first time I read it. I'm excited to see what you come up with. I didn't mean to throw you a curve sending a new sheet; hope you didn't start over.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Auto correct is killing me. That was supposed to say "missed that", not "kissed that".
Expert:  Ingo U replied 6 months ago.
Like Jimi Hendrix said..."s'cuse me, while I kiss this guy"
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good ol' Jimmy James. There you have it!
Expert:  Ingo U replied 6 months ago.
So what happened to sheet 'Data Entry' ?There are references to it that don't error out, but I can't find it. Or unhide it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's there, it's set to "very hidden". Un-hide in VBA properties window / set to -1 - xlSheetVisible
Expert:  Ingo U replied 6 months ago.
Eric, I think I better take a pass on this one. I'm looking at hours of tedious work at a minimum.. can't justify it. And I have family obligations for the weekend and couldn't do anything meaningful until next week anyway. It would be wrong for me to just leave you hanging. Hopefully someone else skilled in Excel around here can pick up the slack for you.My apologies...-Ingo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A-OK. Don't pass it off. I'll figure it out. I have a much easier and less tedious spreadsheet you can help with next week. (Easier as in less to do to it) Will that work?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you already referred me that is cool too. Thanks Ingo