ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML

If this is even possible) I am in need of a formula that will

Customer Question

(If this is even possible) I am in need of a formula that will "read" a cell I am typing into, and search for a "match or like match" in a series of cells with paragraphs of reference information (alpha-numeric) and when a match is found, the value if a cell located next to the paragraph matching cell is entered into another cell in another spreadsheet (all in the same workbook).
I hope this is clear... What I am trying to accomplish is developing a Life Safety Survey where when I enter a non-compliance finding , it is searched for in data I already have in-place in a spreadsheet and it finds a match. Then have it enter the non-compliance code finding next to it. It needs to search multiple non-compliance codes for the "like-match." I already have a spreadsheet set-up with all the possible non-compliance codes in 3 columns where each row represents the equivalent in each of 3 codes (IE: CMS, JC, and NFPA). If I enter the CMS K-TAG in a certain cell, (IE: K011) it currently enters in the cells next to it the K011 wording and the equivalent in each of the other codes (JC and NFPA).
So with this project it takes it to another level where the spreadsheet recognizes my finding verbiage and matches all of the equivalent codes without me entering a K-TAG. For example if I type: “annular penetration in a smoke wall;” the search finds the correct K-TAG and completes the current link to the other corresponding codes. Thank you in advance :)
Category: Programming
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 6 months ago.
very difficult to understand from your description, would need some kind of visual, perhaps sending an example file would be beneficial. Note: I will be away for the next few hours
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK... what address do I send the example to
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is an EXCEL Spreadsheet...
above the window where you type on this site is a picture of a paperclip. use that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
see attachment for more details...
still kinda hard to tell from your images, excel file would have helped. But from the looks of it, it looks like you are trying to take part of an entered value and match that up to search within a string for a series of other cells, get a matching value, then use that value as a lookup to lookup a 2nd value. the 2nd part should and will work with a standard vlookup formula. We run into a problem howerver when trying to combine a lookup and a string search at the same time. For this you may need a macro. Which I can write. I can tell you if it is possible when I see the excel file.