fbeltramini
fbeltramini, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Master in computer science engineering
75751351

We spend a lot of time writing proposals so I want to

Customer Question

We spend a lot of time writing proposals so I want to automate the process. In my old company, we had someone who had a VBscript written where she opened a word file and it asked her a few questions like "what services will this proposal include" and she would select from some check boxes, and other questions as well... then after submission the VBscript would generate the entire proposal.
I think she had many word files each which had a section of a service and when opening the master word DOC, the VBscript would selectively add the section word document content into the master file... ubt im not sure if thats what she does. I would like some suggestions on how I can approach this and perhaps a reference would really help
Category: Programming
Expert:  comp_audio replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** would like to assist you with this. Would you be able to send me an example of what type of proposal your currently using? THis would allow me to know what your looking for. There are some things we can look at to include templates and vb, but there is a very wide options list to look at. he main thing we need is a starting point. Then I should be able to at least give you something to start with and build on to.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I actually do not have something I can share :/ but I can tell you that, we have several services.... for example service1, service2 and service3

and there will be a certain outline..... like

cover letter

Introduction

scope (which would include the service description like service1, service2, and service 3)

pricing

.....etc

oh and our standard is to use powerpoint for our proposals :/

So my plan is to have one powerpoint file per service, and one powerpoint file per section. Then according to what I select lets say service1 and service2..... then the script will take all those other files and put them together.

Sorry i cannot give you a sample as I work in a very strict company

I understand that. Give me a little time to chew on this and see what I can possibly find out for you and get back to you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I dont want to automate the content... in other words I dont need to have the script fill in the pricing ...etc I will do this manually. I want the script to generate 80% of the proposal which is mainly the general layout

I think I understand and will look into this. So basically, you want something to pop up, you put a check mark on what you want included in the proposal for basic content, then input some pricing for the items selected and you hit submit or something and then a document is created, or proposal and is all put together and ready to send out to a customer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

when you hit it will be all put together and mostly ready to be sent to the customer. I will have to do some manual editing after the script generates the proposal. But if you can also put an example on editing or replacing content within the section, like putting the customer name, I would be happy to pay you another 100$

And so I fully understand, you have powerpoint files, one for each different option, and pricing you want to enter for each different option (powerpoint) and when all is selected it puts it into one file. What is the final proposal file format wanted?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

the pricing is not automated. so cancel the pricing, there will be a pricing page which will have an empty table that i will manually fill up after the script runs.

You got all the features right, the output would be in powerpoint as well... just like the files that i am putting together. Its like im putting them together into one powerpoint file in a certain order as per to their corresponding section

Understood. Give me a little time today to see what I can do. I will give you an update later this afternoon. Is this okay?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

sure.... are you interested in helping me with the text replacement as well? please let me know if i should pay you the extra 100 in tips or is there another way of doing this

Lets take it one step at a time. I want to be sure I can give you what you want before we move to the next step. I hope to have something like an example later today. Then we can work out something with the text.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

great.... please note that i am a developer but not in vbscript and though some help would allow me to finish this much faster :) so dont worry too much about me not understanding the script i will be able to customize the sample you will provide me with

thank you

Sounds great. Thanks and talk to you this afternoon.

Hey, while I was initially starting to figure this out I found something that was posted online. It might be a great starting point? Please have a look at this and tell me your thoughts.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This does look like a good starting point. But it doesn't seem to show how do I decide where to inser the slides. Or am I wrong?

I will work with that as a starting point to get a small demo. Please know this might end up taking a few days until we get something working for you. Is this okay?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

thats ok.... but I hope its not more than two days :)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

one more thing... please assume that all my powerpoint files will have the same format :) so we dont have to worry about sustaining the same source format as it will be the same

Great information. Thanks for sharing. I will do my best to get it together before the weekend is over. Will you be available over the weekend should I have further questions or need additional input from you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Of course please message me anytime

Thank you

I am sorry I was not able to complete this over the weekend. I was put in the hospital with an injury, but am back in my home office this morning. Please let me know if you still want me to continue work on this or if you no longer need it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

sure thing.. I hope you are ok. Ill be looking forward for the code sample

Thank you. I will begin work right away.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi ,

Can you please update me on this?

Hello, I am Theresa, Matts wife. He is back in the Hospital and apologizes that he is not going to be able to complete this. He mentioned something about having a script to add power point papers to one, or something like that but not including pricing or something. He said when he is out he will try and forward them to you but he asked me to reach out to you and ask if you would like him to opt out and open to another technician?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I wish Matt all the best but kindly open the question to other experts.

thank you for getting back to me

Will do, thanks and he sends his apologies.

It seems that no one else is willing to take a stab at this. Do you want me to keep working on this for you? I am working from bed, but willing to keep on it if you want.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

can you please let me know when can it be answered?

Well I would start with getting the script to add selected ppt files into a separate ppt, then we can move from there. Once that works, then we can work on adding in the pricing info into the final ppt. Let me know if your okay with that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Just a kind reminder, I dont need to add any prices, I only want a find / replace code sample.

Can you please let me know by when it can be ready?

I can have the PPT tool ready by tomorrow mid afternoon. Then if you approve that part we can customize it. Is this okay?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes that would be ok please get it done as soon as possible

Not to try and re-ask questions, but in regards ***** ***** files, (ppt's) are you wanting to have whole pre-made presentations added to a new ppt, or particular slides from those pre-made presentations to the new one?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  fbeltramini replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I see this question open as if the expert has opted out. Is the question open and I can take over this or another expert is already working on this?