Richard, Consultant
Experience:  Programming and Network consultancy for 15+ years
32989067

L have a client that wants to import data from one excel

Customer Question

l have a client that wants to import data from one excel spreadsheet that is down loaded from MYOB Accounting software into another excel spreadsheet. Only certain columns/fields from the first template need to be picked up in the second spreadsheet.
Can this be done in an automated fashion?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Chris Baxter replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

In answer to your question, it can! It will require the use of Python to code the back end, and that of course requires some minor setup, and use of some programming to access the appropriate fields. Essentially the code goes something like this:

getThisWorkbook.thisCell = thisValue

thisValue = thatOtherWorkbookCellValue

You can see the following link for the exact instructions and codes for the setup and implementation!

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/chapter12/

Please let me know if you need further assistance! :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris
Thanks for this so if i send you the excel files can you set something up for me and send back an automated work around? The first sheet is downloaded from MYOB Accounting software in a csv or txt format and from there we would need to populate the fields required in the secondary spreadsheet. How much would this cost? Thanks Mark
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris just checking to see you have my previous message.
l can upload the files if you want.
Thanks

You can upload those, I unfortunately have other things to attend to, but I can easily step out of the way and let our other guys here take care of that for you! :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris
Thanks for the return message.
OK so the Itemsale.txt is an export that comes form the Accounting package and the client wants to download this daily. The excel spreadsheet named sample upload is for the client's distribution team. On the highlighted fields need to be matched but at present the client is manually entering data into spreadsheet which is a very time consuming process.
Please let me know a rough estimate to automate a macro process here before commencing works. Thanks
Mark
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there Mark and welcome

Sorry about the delay, it appears your previous expert has left the conversation.

I will help you with this.

I looked through the files and your going to need to also use Microsoft Access for this (as an inbetween, Excel will be the final product). Do you have this installed on the computer?

and to confirm, you want the Txt file to be put into Excel correct? Just match the fields.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Richard
Thanks for the email.
l have emailed the client and am checking on the Microsoft Access availability. So still waiting to hear back.
I assume that the text file can stay as is as it is an import from MYOB to the desktop and will only be used to trigger the information into the 2nd spreadsheet.
Thanks
Mark
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

yes, there is one issue with the text file but I can overcome it in Access.

Basically Access imports it and spits out the Excel file

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Richard
apologies for the late response. the client was away ill today so as soon as i hera they have access i will revert back. Can the macro be installed on both Windows and Mac platforms?
Thanks
Mark
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

It runs on Windows Mark, if the same version of Access is on a mac it will run on that as well.