The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer
Experience:  Extensive Knowledge in PHP, MYSQL, CSS & Javascript
62934938

ActiveX image control clickable output to an existing

Customer Question

ActiveX image control clickable output to an existing textbox1. I need to be able to click on an image (call it widget1) and output a row of data (specific to widget1) with colum headers from another worksheet in the same workbook. Output this data to existing textbox1 oriented vertically. While I have another command button to clear textbox1. This would be repeated with about 60 or so different images all outputing to textbox1 when clicked upon.
Even if I cannot get the image control to do it, I would consider putting a command button over each image but I have only figured out how to output a message not a range of data from another worksheet.
Thanks so much for the help.
Category: Programming
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 11 months ago.

I would need to see an example of what you are trying to accomplish. Theoretically it is possible. But complicated and not very cheap for me to program.

I would not use ActiveX controls though as there is a whole host of problem associated with it. But it is certainly possible to create a click event when something is clicked on some data is copied from one sheet to another.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A rough look. The sheet has a lot of fine tuning left, but the "meat" of the sheet is the clickable quick access to pertinate info that users need about the systems. The outputed data comes from the "master status sheet". If there are better ways to organize the data in the sheet to work better than I am all for it, I just need the output from each "GC" to go into the textbox once you click on it. The layout will change but the idea is the same for sheets "building 3" and "building 6" sheets as well.I thought it might be as simple as getting the code for commandbutton1 and repeat with updated corresponding row data from the master status sheet worksheet for each additional Commandbutton(x). If ActiveX buttons are not used. Hope this helps.

how do you determine when a command button is clicked which row to pull data from?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Each picture corresponds to an analytical instrument. Conditional formatting lets the users know if the instrument is active or inactive (red or green highlighted). Each instrument picture (not yet named) corresponds to a particular row in the master status worksheet. I.e. the name under the picture (GC-xx) will correspond to the particular row in the master status sheet. There will have to be a command button for each picture, I'm guessing. The only part that is intended to ever be manually updated is the master status sheet.Each instrument is arranged by its physical location by building sheet. The master status sheet is arranged numerically. For example. The top left picture (first one) is actually GC-51. This picture coresponds to the row in the master status sheet for GC-51. I can update all of the names for the images if that would help.

that would help, but I only need it for a few of them as an example.

Also is the text box to the right, when a button is clicked will that be appended to the text box, in other words if there is already text, will the new text be added? Or will the text box be cleared out each time and replaced with new text?

Also which column(s) on the master sheet populate to the text box?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll work on the spreadsheet now. New information in the textbox with each click. So replace or clear and replace with each new click. I'll send the sheet in a minute.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is the updated sheet. I added some information for a couple of the fields. Some are kinda lengthy, so if the existing textbox needs to be longer so be it.

which column is the master sheet data coming from to go into the text box?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I wanted the whole row for each GC oriented vertically if possible. Otherwise we flip the master status sheet to go that way. Where each GC is it's own column. Does that make it eaiser?

so the whole row, but each cell, would have a carrage return after it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
exactly!

ok, I think it is all possible.

Now the cost.

It will be $150 to create a macro of this type.

Now most people have a problem once they here the price.

But keep these things in mind.

1. This is how I make a living.

2. The price also includes troubleshooting, if for some reason you cannot run the macro or you get errors, or it doesn't quite work right.

3. The price was arrived at based on my experience, and how long it takes and what is involved in the process on doing this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I get a full receipt?

i would imagine. Keep in mind I don't control the billing..

ok, i sent the offer for the additional fee, when you accept it I can get started

i have not heard back from you