Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Multi Platform Developer.
23511658

I need a native iOS app as part of a corporate web app that

Customer Question

I need a native iOS app as part of a corporate web app that does the following:
1. upon installation on the iOS device, it will ask once for
(a) userid - this userid - manually entered and manually validated is the same userid of the user of the device in the web app. no validation is required through coding.
(b) fréquency(in seconds) of update
2. When the app is activated (no login required) it would
(a) detect and transmit its current GPS coordinates (no browser geo-location, but the phone's native GPS location services)
(b) the userid stored in the app
in the frequency (in 1-b) above to a PHP web application to INSERT a record in a certain table in a MySQL database with that userid and GPS coordinates (lat/long)
3. If the userid in the native iOS app needs to be changes, the app must be uninstalled and re-installed.
4. this native app does NOT need to be available in the Appstore, since it is a private corporate app.
I would need the full code base, compiled code and installation instructions on the iOS device (download from a corporate URL)
Category: Programming
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Michael, Can you please provide an update or if you have any questions?

What development platform do you plan to develop it on?

What type of assistance from me would you be looking for (very specifically, please).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You can use the iOS9 SDK / Swift and specifically the Mapkit APIs for the GPS location determination. I need the entire codebase and compiled code for the app. I don't have access to any development toolkit or skill set for Swift.

Updating the MySQL table would require a PHP web service. the IOS native app would need to make a HTTP request to this web service in order to send data and update the table in the MySQL database.

So I would need you to also write the web service.

OK. I can give you a quote for this. It would take several hours of development. I'll be happy to provide that if it is a route you want to consider.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Michael,

Let's reduce your scope of work to the native iOS app only and you can quote me for this. We have the web service available now so you don't have to develop that.

1. Upon installation on the iOS device (iPhone or iPad), it will ask once for

1. userid - this userid - manually entered and manually validated is the same userid of the user of the device in the web app. no validation is required through coding.

2. fréquency(in seconds) of update

1. detect its current GPS coordinates (no browser geo-location, but the phone's native GPS location services using Mapkit API)

2. Obtain the address if available of that geo-location (use Mapkit API)

3. Use the userid stored in the app from 1.1 above

4. Make a HTTP request in the frequency as set in 1.2 above to call the PHP web service using the format http://~/reportgeo.php?reporter=<userid from 2.3>&geolocation=<geolocation from 2.1>&address=<address from 2.2>

The web service will validate the userid with records in the USERS table in the database of the web app. The following success/error messages are available from the web service through a json_encode when the web service is called.

• Successfully updated

• Unauthorized User

• Missing geo-location

Essentially I am looking for the code for the native app to determine the current GPS coordinates + address (if available from the Mapkit APIs) and invoke the PHP web service.

How much would this effort cost?

Thank you

Joy

Ok... got it. You just need the authentication mechanism, which you would then integrate into whatever app you want to use it with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hello Michael,

I received your offer. I was not expecting to spend that much on this simple development. The number of hours that you have asked for is what I was expecting this reduced scope would take but the rate is much higher than I expected.

Thank you for the offer though. I guess I will have to look for other alternatives.