Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Programming Tutor
Experience:  Completed BSIT concentration Software Engineering, tutored other students and classmates in Java and VB.net, C++, and Obj C.
68869132

How do I create a label with a number in sequential order?

Customer Question

Category: Programming
Expert:  Chris Baxter replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Merge is right, but you want "Mail Merge" in most cases for labels, instead of "Data Merge" see the following link for best instructions, if you have a specific program you would like instructions for, please feel free to ask, and don't forget to accept and rate! :)

http://word.tips.net/T001492_Sequentially_Numbered_Labels.html

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am using Adobe indesign

http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-numbered-tickets-the-easy-way-in-indesign--vector-1863

You want step 11-13ish from this guide. Data merge is correct for Indesign, but did you have a page of sequentially ordered numbers? **Format below**

001

002

003

etc

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is the same tutorial i have used, when i follow all the steps and data merge, In preview mode all the labels are correct, after hitting "ok" and the merge completes it is not the same sequential numbers and gives me a number that is non existent in my data merge...Making labels to start from GDX115400-GDX116400 . After generating data merge numbers on every label say 115538

Ah, that explains the issue! Mail merge and other such merges, including those in MS Word, only use numbers for merge, you will want to remove "GDX" and if it must appear, you can simply place "GDX" in a text field just left of where your number output should be. This will make GDX appear but will not muck up your merge with it. Indesign also has a known flaw with "multiple merge" or, putting all the labels on the same page, this is most often done in MS Word to avoid this issue. (Unfortunately no known fix for multiple mail merge issue in Indesign, so the workaround is to have each label on a single page using "single page" merge settings.) Once that pesky GDX is out of the way, you should have no problem running the range from 115400 to 116400.

The Indesign error is what is causing the single record output. :)