david
david, Programming Guru
Experience:  6+ years of programming expertise
65089077

My actual question is: how difficult would it be to create a

Customer Question

My actual question is: how difficult would it be to create a small search engine for a localized area (e.g. "Brooklyn" or zip codes in Brooklyn) in order to find social services on key websites?
Category: Programming
Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

I would be glad to help. The best way to approach your problem will depend on a number of factors.

1. What is the total number of sites you expect to be accessible by this search engine?

2. Are these sites already accessible by another search engine / directory?

3. What is the expected mindset of users that will be using your site?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, great!
Let me give you more background, in order to explain further. I would like to create a website with a component similar similar to hitesite.org (finds social service agencies within a certain location)
Here are my answers in numerical order:
1. It's oddly more of a "catchment area" radius than a total number
2. Yes.
3. People looking for services.
Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

Great. Thanks for responding to those questions. I still have a few more questions.

1. Can you provide a link to a page with a directory or search results that contain the sites you want to be indexed?

2. Can you explain how big you want this radius to be, and how you plan to determine the central point for this circle?

2. Is there anything you want to do differently from hitesite.org?

Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

If you are having trouble with these new question please let me know. It's important that I know how much of this project you have setup so I can provide an accurate answer to the amount of work needed to complete it.

Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

You can reply to my previous request using the link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/9gfx1-actual-question-is-difficult-create.html

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Apologies for my delayed response!
To answer your questions, see below. --SCROLL DOWN NOW TO SEE THE ANSWERS TO YOUR NUMBERED QUESTIONS--Also, just a bit of context (which might give you a better idea): Unemployed adults with mental health disabilities/metal health issues can become overwhelmed if they are currently experiencing/recovering from an episode (I have peer-reviewed journal citations if you want them), and may require a form of employment to support their basic needs while they are recovering. Individuals suffering from episodic/recurrent mental illnesses (such as: Major Depressive Disorder, Schizophrenia, ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, etc.) often experience difficulty finding flexible work arrangements, AND employers who have the appropriate level of mental health knowledge to utilize the employees skills appropriately.1. Can you provide a link to a page with a directory or search results that contain the sites you want to be indexed?
--Not exactly. I'm thinking about key search words that can be used to pull open jobs from multiple job databases (key words to be determined, but that can be determined relatively easily, using combined survey and brief interview data),for example "telecommute." I understand that job search engine often provide filters for these types of jobs, however, given that these individuals are often overwhelmed as it is, accessing multiple resources can be frustrating, confusing, and may trigger more symptoms.2. Can you explain how big you want this radius to be, and how you plan to determine the central point for this circle?
New York City plus the boroughs (not the entire metropolitan area). If it's easiest to start with 1 borough, that's totally fine.2. Is there anything you want to do differently from hitesite.org?
Yes, I'd like to focus on flexible and feasible jobs for people who are unable to manage an average 9-5 work schedule due to their disability. It would be great if there was simply a website, where users could find up-to-date job postings that meet their needs (e.g. flex hours, telecommute...basically things you can do, and earn at least a small salary even if you are partially or immobilized (mentally or physically).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for providing that information. So you want your site to provide job listings in the NYC area that offer telecommuting? If that is the case, I think your best bet will be to provide a simple page with a few links to search queries on a few major job posting sites that specify the location and telecommuting criteria that you mentioned.

Trying to create your own search engine that has access to all of the job postings on these various sites is going to be a huge undertaking. Since the postings themselves are on other sites, you will need approval from those sites to use their information, which will most likely cost a lot.

If you are OK with page with a few links to other job posting sites, let me know and we can work out the finer details to put it together.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that works.
Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

Great. And I'm assuming you want the page to have a similar layout and style to the hitesite.org even though this will only be a single page? Do you have any job sites you have used in the past that you want included? I think it would be best to use the most highly visited job sites as a starting point, so the top ten from this list would be a good starting point:

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/category/Top/Business/Employment

Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

I would be glad to help you with this site, but it will be a very time consuming task, so I want to make sure we have all the structural concepts defined clearly before we continue. Please take a look at the link I posted in my previous response and let me know if you want to add any other job sites not on that list.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand. Sorry for the delay in response. That list looks excellent.
Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

Great. I would be happy to put this site together for you, however due the scope and size of this project it will be difficult to use this chat to track our progress. Instead, could you send an email to expert-david (at) yopmail.com so we can discuss this project at greater length? Also if you are able to RATE this chat that will make it easier for me to track our conversation there as well.

Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

I would be glad to build this site for you, but we will need to use a more sophisticated communication medium that supports large attachments like e-mail. Once you've rated this page and sent me an e-mail using the address I provided earlier, I will be happy to work with you on putting this site together.

Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

When you have a chance, please reply on your question page to let me know the status of your problem: