ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

Just wondering how i can transfer my files to another

Customer Question

Hey!
Just wondering how i can transfer my files to another computer and not break the hyperlinks... i hve done it before but i cant seem to do-it now
thank you
matte
Category: Programming
Expert:  Jason Carlamere replied 11 months ago.
  • For Word 2010 click the File tab and then click Options or for Word 2007 Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
  • Click on Advanced
  • Under the General section click the Web Options button
  • Select the Files tab
  • Uncheck the Update links on save check box
  • Click OK twice to exit
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is for microsoft frontpage 2003,, it has several hyperlinks that keep breaking if i transfer them to another computer
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you recommend a solution , im at my wits end lol

what exactly happens to the hyperlink ? Can you show me a before and after.. Also - are you using relative or absolute hyperlinks ?

also - a little information about what the hyperlink is going to will help

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the hyperlink is going to another frontpage document. It works on the source the files were created in but when i move them they break and show a screen that says the browser cannot find the file. All the files always stay together and they work on one computer but none others. Not sure what the difference is, its a sentence or a word converted to a hyperlink link, if that helps :)

Are you using relative or absolute values for the hyperlink ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ah whats the difference?

it's a big different for when you migrate your site to another computer/server etc..

Relative links will point to a page which is relative to the page that contains the link - for example - if the page was in the same directory and it was called default.html you can call it simply by putting ./default.html

Absolute is where you would point to the directory structure and location of the file.

I suggest you read the following article for frontage developers. it's not long but it's useful -- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155920(v=office.10).aspx

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks for the answer, sorry i have not responded i have been at work for the week,,, i think my links are relative, and the files are not online. I still need advice as to how to move these files without my hyperlinks losing their connections/links to other pages
Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

I would be glad to help. To better understand how your links are defined, can you upload one of your web pages to http://www.wikisend.com and reply to me with the upload link so I can take a look? I suspect you are using absolute local file system URLs in your web page and that is causing the problem, but it could be a number of things depending on how you set up Frontpage. Once I am able to view the source code of your page I will be able to identify the exact problem and provide a solution for you.

Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

If you are having trouble uploading your page via my previous suggestion, let me know and I can walk you through the process.

Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

If you are having trouble with wikisend, you could copy and paste the source code of your web page into http://www.pastepin.com and hit the Create New Paste button, then provide me the page link that is created and I can look at your page that way. Let me know if you are having trouble with either of those methods and I can walk you through it.

Expert:  david replied 11 months ago.

When you have a chance, please reply on the question page to let me know the status of your problem:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/9gftn-hey-just-wondering-transfer-files.html