david
david, Programming Guru
Experience:  6+ years of programming expertise
65089077

I am working with Google sheets ski program. I have been

Customer Question

I am working with Google sheets for a ski program. I have been exporting a CSV file from a registration site. I then sort that file for each school and copy and paste the information for each school into a Google Sheet. I then share the sheet with the teacher who can correct or update the sheet as necessary. I send the a shareable link that does not need a sign-in, i.e. anyone with the link can edit. I have made sure that the shareable link is turned on and that the person doesn't need a sign-in. All my teachers except two from a different district have been able to edit the sheet. However, two of the teachers in one district keep getting a message than says, "sign-in to edit." Their IT person figured they needed an account. That's not it. They signed in to an account, edited the sheet, and I can see it. It's not the same link. Why can't they edit the sheet. I went over everything today with their IT person, tried several browsers - nothing. They cannot edit the sheet - only view it and that is not the link I sent. What is up?
Category: Programming
Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

I would be glad to help. Based on the information you provided there are a few possibilities for this problem.

1. The file you shared may have been saved as a local copy by one of the people you shared with. They then shared that new file which resulted in a new share link.

OR

2. Although a google account is not required for the share method you are using, if the person accessing your link is currently logged into a google account, this will be used when accessing the link and when that user makes an edit, it will record the username that was active when the edit was made.

So to resolve this issue for the teachers you are working with, I would create a new share link for the file you want to share, then instruct them to log out of any google account they may be using before accessing the file. You can instruct them to log out by telling them to visit google.com, then click the profile circle in the upper right corner and choose Sign Out from that menu.

It's possible that something else is the source of the problem, but without knowing exactly what steps the teachers are taking to access your file, there is no way to know for certain. Please let me know whether or not this resolves the issue for you.

Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if your clients are able to resolve the problem using the suggestions I provided. If not, we can try a few other things to get the share links working.

Expert:  david replied 12 months ago.

You can reply to me on your question page using the link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/9fjw7-working-google-sheets-ski-program.html

Expert:  david replied 12 months ago.

I will try to keep your question open until you have a chance to reply or rate an answer on your question page here: