The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer
Experience:  Extensive Knowledge in PHP, MYSQL, CSS & Javascript
62934938

I need simple list of all possible combinations of certain

Customer Question

I need simple list of all possible combinations of certain numbers and letters. The lists need to be just one on top of the other, like I would enter into a spreadsheet column.
I need 4 lists:
Numbers 12356789 in groups of any combination of pairs or triplets of any number
12356789 without any repeating numbers
Letters bcdfghjklmnpqrstwxwz with same two groups as above
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me, in what coding system do you want these lists generated?

Or do you just want a text file (*.txt) generated, and you don't care where the text file comes from or by what means it is generated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no coding, just simple text that does not require me to have any special software or program to open it.

Actually, I need those 4 lists in 4 characters and another 4 lists in 5 characters

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What time-frame for receiving all these lists/text-files, are you looking for?

- does that include

52299911223344667788

or does it only include

552299911223344667788

?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/9erru-need-simple-list-possible-combinations-certain.html?rpt=101#ixzz3rrJEwwLw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a pressing need for the lists ASAP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but only the 4 and 5 characters, no shorter or longer than that.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, 8 lists total, 4 of them in 4 characters from the character set###-##-####(or a character set of lowercase letters without vowels), and 4 of them in 5 characters ?

But if so, if triplets of numbers/characters are involved, how can each entry (for one cell, I understand) be only 4 characters?

I fear I will not be able to generate these ASAP, so, though I have helped clarify your requirements, I have Opted Out. Consider me (and let me know) if nobody else here takes up the case within your earlier time-frame interval.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A triplet is only 3 characters long so it can fit several ways within 4 or 5 characters

example: bbby or gbbbt

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i'm trying to follow what you are looking for here let me see if I can get a basic understanding.

using characters a-z you want all combinations with a maximum of 3 repeating characters?

so for example

aaaa would not be acceptable with it contains 4 repeating characters

but

aaab, baaa, caaa, ccbb, baba, abcd, effg, cccq, pddd, and so on are all acceptable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, not a-z

12356789 without any repeating numbers

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/9erru-need-simple-list-possible-combinations-certain.html?rpt=101#ixzz3rrPXIh7h

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

sorry not understanding what do you mean by combinations of paris and triplets of any numbers, without repeating numbers? Wouldn't a pair or triplet mean that numbers are repeating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

a pair is like bb

a triplet is like bbb

so 4 characters could be bbcc, ccdd, bcbc, bbbc, cccb, cbcc, ccbc

5 characters could be bbccc, bbbcc, bcccb, bbccb, bcbcb, bbbcl, bclbb, blbcb, bblcc, blccl, cbbll, lcbll, bblcl

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

so it has to have at least 1 pair or triple in it.

So abcd would not work

but abab, abba, abcc, cacq, naar, bppp, paqq, bbcd, alba, would all be acceptable?

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

one thing however, google sheets does not support macros so this would have to be done in excel.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i thought I should mention that before we continue any further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have excel. I would have to go to store and buy it and install it. Are you sure I can't download a txt file and then drag it into Google sheets?

Can do get me the lists ASAP so I can try it. I won't be mad if it does not work with Google sheets, but I want to try it first before I have to run into town and spend $139 for Excel

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i am absolutely positive that google sheets does not support VBA based macros. As far as I understand it though you can get a free trial of excel 2016 to install, i don't remember whether they give you 60 days or 30, but you can goto microsoft website to find out if you can download it for free. Just make sure you don't get office 365 as that is a totally different program. I write all of my code in excel 2013, but it is compatible with 2016, at least this way you can see if it works for no cost, other than the cost of this question.

Now onto cost, what you ask is certainly possible however it is complicated and I would have to charge an additional fee.

The output of the macro would go directly into the spreadsheet and not a text file. But I could create the macro assuming you are willing to pay the additional fee, and save the sheet as a csv file, that you would be able to view in any text editor.

The final question is would this be a one time deal just to generate the lists? Or would you want to change the character sets and run this more than once? Depending on your answer I may have an alternative solution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually, I was not even expecting you to write any code. I feel sure there must be totally free ways to generate this in minutes from free websites. I was just wanting to find someone who knew where and could get it done for me quickly.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i would have to write code, its the only way to do it based on your very specific criteria, I don't know of any sites that do it, there is probably a way to do it for every possible combination in a given character set, but not based on your specific criteria.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Anything as long as it is fast

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I could still use the lists, even if they contained all numbers or letters.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i want to verify the criteria.

given the data set 12356789, bcdfghjklmnpqrstwxwz

lists of 4 and 5 character combos, with at least a double or triple in each set?

for example

1223, 1212, 1222, 1233, 3311 would all be acceptable

but 1235 would not be?

is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes 1235 would be acceptable. I would prefer it be in a separate list since it has only one of each number, but if you have to include all in one list, that would still be ok.

The one thing I do not want is for the numbers and letters to be combined into the same lists.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

so then the only criteria in a single is is that there are no more than 3 of any number in a combo? is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually there does not need to be any limit on how many of the same character are in each

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

ok so then just 2 lists one with the numbers you mentioned and one with the letters, every possible combo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I need number and letter lists containing 4 characters. And number and letter lists containing 5 characters.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

yes I got that, so that would be 4 lists

I am sending you an offer of additional service, if you accept it I could pretty quickly generate your lists.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

can i assume you are no longer interested in this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not interested, I already got the information for nothing elsewhere.