Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in software development. Expert in Microsoft .Net, C#, C++, VB, SQL
44076068

I have downloaded a CSV file from a website and need to

Customer Question

I have downloaded a CSV file from a website and need to upload it another but the header titles are different and not matching. When I upload the SKU code and price fields do not get updated on to the new site. Also the images updates in the product description box, while I want it in a separate box for images. Can someone guide me?
Category: Programming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have typed inn my email incorrectly it is xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be downloading and uploading files constantly so I need something which will convert file 1 into file 2 format
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

What supplier or reference site are you downloading from and what sales channel are you trying to upload to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Supplier: www.banggood.com and upload to site hosted by shopify using a template called classic. The challenge is the template has pre defined conditions and works well for my other suppliers. The banggood csv has defined image dimensions which I don't need
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Are you looking for a referral to a company or product which will do the conversion or are you looking for someone to write a conversion program? If the latter is the case, I'll have to opt out because I'm not really interested in doing it for the question value presented.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking for a conversion programme.. Thanks Wes. Appreciate your interest.
Expert:  Wes replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I'll opt out then because having done what you're doing... I know what's involved and don't really have the time to write a custom program for this right now.

Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.

Can you clearly describe which columns in format 1 should become what in format 2?

Extra columns in format 1 - discard? (i.e. those w/o destination in format 2)

Extra columns in format 2 - leave blank? (i.e. those w/o source in format 1)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ingo, I have attached a file here. The columns highlighted in yellow is the right format for me to upload the file. The rest of the columns on the page are the format which I receive the file in. You would notice that cell C1 has a specific defined format to enable me to upload it to the web. Although the file that I receive has all the information, it is not in the format that I need. So I need a simple way of converting the file I receive to the format I need so that when I upload it, it does not skew up the results, which it does now because of the way thee two formats are designed. If any questions shoot.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the csv format doesn't preserve things like highlighting; and the file looks pretty garbled as it is. Can you just attach the xls or xlsx file (what version Excel?)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies. Here you go!
Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** can't make sense of that though. A1 and C1 each look like one long string of column headers, comma separated text. If those represent format 1 and 2, respectively, I still don't know "what" means "what" going from 1 to 2.

Most of the file looks like the result of a copy/paste of a table from a web browser page, I don't know what to do with that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am attaching two files here. The first file is what I receive from my supplier in a CSV format. The second file is an example of the format I need it in, to enable me to upload it to my website. I am looking for a solution where I can just convert the first file into the format of the second one. When I upload the file1, as it is, to my website, it skews up the settings. The images do not appear where they should, and a couple of important fields such as price and SKU do not get uploaded at all, I hope this explains it.
Expert:  Ingo U replied 1 year ago.

These look pretty much like the initial files you sent. I can't interpret their contents to guess at what you're after.

Have you actually opened these files in Excel yourself?

I'm going to opt out and let someone else have a crack at this. Maybe it'll be more obvious to them...
Sorry I couldn't help you out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ignou. Much appreciated.